Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Date On A New CC

tag
Ugenie7
Valued Member

Start Date On A New CC

I searched for an answer but couldn't find one.

I apped for a new bank CC and got approved. 

Is my start date for the card when I got approved or when I activate it or when I use it for the first time?

The card in question is a Citi DC. I'm thinking it may vary depending on the creditor. My Chase card was active upon approval even though I hadn't received the card yet.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Start Date On A New CC

If by start, you mean account opened day, it's the day you applied for the card.

EX will list first of the month during which you applied, while TU and EQ list the actual date. 

Message 2 of 6
Ugenie7
Valued Member

@Remedios wrote:

If by start, you mean account opened day, it's the day you applied for the card.

EX will list first of the month during which you applied, while TU and EQ list the actual date. 

Then that date will become my close date? Then approximately 28 days later will be my due date? Or do I have it backwards? Hmmm, I could be completely wrong!

Thanks for your reply and moving my post to the correct forum!

Message 3 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Ugenie7 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Then that date will become my close date? Then approximately 28 days later will be my due date? Or do I have it backwards? Hmmm, I could be completely wrong!

Closing date will depend on lender.

Sometimes first statement is "short" one, meaning two weeks or less from the time you were approved, and with some lenders, it will be around 28-30 days after opening. 

If first statement is short one, there may not even be a payment requirement till first full statement,  but that will be clearly visible online/app.

Your closing date is determined internally at the time application is approved. If you need to know beforehand, you can call or message your lender and ask them what your closing and due dates will be. 

Message 4 of 6
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

My Citi DC statement date is 4 days after the open date.

Message 5 of 6
Ugenie7
Valued Member

@Remedios wrote:

@Ugenie7 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Closing date will depend on lender.

Sometimes first statement is "short" one, meaning two weeks or less from the time you were approved, and with some lenders, it will be around 28-30 days after opening. 

If first statement is short one, there may not even be a payment requirement till first full statement,  but that will be clearly visible online/app.

Your closing date is determined internally at the time application is approved. If you need to know beforehand, you can call or message your lender and ask them what your closing and due dates will be. 

Great information! Thank you!

I just got the Citi card today. I haven't looked over all the paperwork but the app says payment due the 5/28. My Citi application was approved on the 13th. Statement close on the 2nd as expected.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.