Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start building Credit History

Highlighted
New Visitor

Start building Credit History

Hello,

I have come to the USA 6 months back and got a credit card right away on the student account. I also received the SSN now. 

With all this what are the best practices to build a good credit score over the time? 

Also, I have not updated my bank with my SSN. How necessary is that?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Start building Credit History

Welcome to the country and to the forum.

Basics for you now are quite simple.  NEVER miss a payment and keep your overall utilization low (balance verses limit).  Stick with these two things for a year or so and you'll open the doors to other credit opportunities while increasing your AAoA (average age of accounts).  Within a year or so you can sneak into the 700's with your scores which is considered very respectable by most.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Start building Credit History

Could not agree more. Keep everything in check and on time, as well as do not over extend yourself with more then you can handle.

Total Credit: $240,100Credit Utilization: 1%AAoA: 5 years, 7 monthsInstallments: Car Lease, Marcus LoanNegatives: 0

LOWES-35k | BOA-32.5k | AMEX-30k | DISC-27.1k | ALLIANT-25k | NFCU-25k | BARC-15k | BBUY-12k | CHASE-10k | WAL-10k | CITI-9.7k | PENFED-9.7k

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.