cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Started/re-building credit history from 2018, What is your current CL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Started/re-building credit history from 2018, What is your current CL?

Hello Folks,

Just doing a touch base with all the fellow fico members who started rebuilding/started building their credit history from late 2017 or early 2018.

Just to see a range of data points.

I started with exposure of <1K, and it grew to 18.5K in last 14 months.  

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Started/re-building credit history from 2018, What is your current CL?

1/1/2018 - 2 cards, total CL $1900, FICO8s around 560.

3/3/2019 - 11 cards, total CL $12,450 in CLs, FICO8s in sig. Continuing to pay down utilization and work on more CLIs this year, along with closing at least one card.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

After messing up my credit twice I didn’t really want to get back into credit. I swore it off but you know how that story goes — I couldn’t even get a cellphone plan without a deposit or them telling me to get a prepaid.

Started with a few negatives ... credit score in the 500s no accounts.

4/2015 $99 for $500 BOA secured card, still scared of credit I didn’t use it much paid it off... I pretended I didn’t even have it

2/2017 saw request button on boa to increase and said wth (denied)

2/2017 get a letter saying refund of security deposit... letter said my score was 620 and I was in shock it rose that much.

3/2017 curious as to why they didn’t get an increase found myfico and started learning

2/2018 — scores in sig outdated, 22 accounts $40,000+ in total available credit (before a few recent increases) 1 paid off charge off still on report from nearly 6 years ago holding my score down

Only thing I regret is not learning about how credit works sooner — I feel like I would be way ahead had I learned before ruining my credit twice — and it’s crazy because everyone I talk to about credit is exactly how I use to be — they don’t even know the basics and it’s sad.

Good luck on your journey
Message 3 of 14
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Didn't pay any attention to my credit didn't really understand how any of it worked to be honest so I started seriously digging end of 2017 I had lower 500 score got a secured 200 CC because I misunderstood how those work as well but decided I had nothing to lose and needed to start somewhere (it's never to late to get your ducks in a row) Smiley Happy    grew my score to the end of 2018 to 755 and then refinanced my vehicle from 19% down to 3.4% updated my 200 secured to an unsecured 500 from my CU, and added an unsecured Amex of 1k and an unsecured Chase of 3800!!!     That's right I started out a secured 200 and jumped to 3 unsecured CC and a crazy drop in apr in one year!    Takes hella dedication and NOT TOUCHING but now I have a lot better understanding and I am eligible for a CLI on my Amex and am also eligible for a house this year!    Afterwards I look forward to building my CC's to high amounts and soon thereafter getting my dream car!    Good Luck to anyone who is building it is very tough but oh so worth it my banks jaw dropped when they saw my new 755 score end of December and it was very funny to me for them to be so nice about wanting to help me more after hahaha!     Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 14
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

I started in late  2017, but didn't apply for anything until 2018. I did a bunch of research for a few months. You can see my stats in my signature.

I applied for my cards between March and June and ended with a total CL of $5k. It will probably stay that way until 2020 as I don't really focus on CL's since they don't really increase your score outside of utilization (which I keep low anyway). 

Im focused on increasing my AAoA/AoYA which has a more profound effect on scores and scorecards.

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started in February 2018, with a secured card from TD Bank originally with 1000 dollars, now I have eight credit card with a total of 6800 dollars (Soon 7050 if Capital One maintains its promise of increasing my CL)
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

2018 Empty file but student loan.  600's

-Disc IT secured

-Cap 1

In between:

-SelfLender

-local CU - 10 year personal loan - credit builder

-MyJewelersClub - 5k

-Amazon Rewards Visa - 2500

-Cap 1 Venture - 8000

Now

Cap 1 graduated to QS1 - 3k

Disc IT graduated now 3k

Cap 1 Venture - 8k

Amazon Rewards - 2.5k

Score 725,  1 year avg combined history 

Denied:

Chase, BofA, US Bank, Amex (burnt)

Any tips to build it even stronger?  Didn't get approved for anything chase. Might need to open a checking and savings there then slowly work my way in.  

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 credit cards, $9,700 total
Freedom: $2,500
Cash Magnet: $3,800
Discover it: $3,400
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... Just doing a touch base with all the fellow fico members who started rebuilding/started building their credit history from late 2017 or early 2018. Just to see a range of data points.  

May, 2018:       20,275 Revolving CL

March, 2019: 245,200 Revolving CL

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn’t really get serious about rebuilding until March of 2018. I went from $9,250 to $52,450 in total credit lines. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.