Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Lien

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State Tax Lien

Had an old released state tax lein out of MN from 2011 (released that year).  I sent a goodwill letter to the recorder of deeds in MN specifically the county that the lien was recorded in.  She called me and stated that she could not delete the lien however she could send me a couple copies of the released lien to send to the CB's, told me it may not work but it was worth a shot.  I typed up a goodwill letter and sent the copies of the released lien requesting that it be deleted early from my CR (expires in 2018).  TU sent me a document stating that it will not ge deleted until 2018.  I just recieved a letter from experian stating that the lien will be deleted (AWESOME!!!).  Have not heard from Equifax yet.  I guess the question is, how will this look when all 3 CB's are pulled, as one has deleted the state tax lien.  Do you think I could send TU the document that experian sent me stating they deleted the state tax lien and maybe they will file suit and delete it?  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: State Tax Lien

@Anonymous wrote:

Had an old released state tax lein out of MN from 2011 (released that year).  I sent a goodwill letter to the recorder of deeds in MN specifically the county that the lien was recorded in.  She called me and stated that she could not delete the lien however she could send me a couple copies of the released lien to send to the CB's, told me it may not work but it was worth a shot.  I typed up a goodwill letter and sent the copies of the released lien requesting that it be deleted early from my CR (expires in 2018).  TU sent me a document stating that it will not ge deleted until 2018.  I just recieved a letter from experian stating that the lien will be deleted (AWESOME!!!).  Have not heard from Equifax yet.  I guess the question is, how will this look when all 3 CB's are pulled, as one has deleted the state tax lien.  Do you think I could send TU the document that experian sent me stating they deleted the state tax lien and maybe they will file suit and delete it?  

They won't; the 3 bureaus are not only independent they actively compete with each other.  As a result they will not accept any information from the others, has to come from a different source.

I'm surprised EX deleted, it "shouldn't" for simply released liens but hey, congrats Smiley Happy.

Actually though, when in 2011 was it filed?  MN has a 5 year SOL on their tax debt collection apparently, 5 years after the file date you should be disputing it as obsolete (or whatever TU calls it) and tell the bureau it's past the statute of limitations and that might do the trick.

My own, which is likewise paid/released which I paid back in 2011, has a 20 year SOL (damn it California!) so I'm still stuck with this darned thing till 12/2017, aka six years after I found this forum.  Weaksauce =/.

        
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revelate, thanks for the reply!  Do you know where I could locate that SOL on 5 year collection for tax debt?  The lien is paid and released but anything I could try and get it deleted off TU and Equifax would be appreciated.  The lien was released 11/4/2011, filed 6/3/10.  TU estimates 10/2018 that it will be removevd.  

Sorry to hear about the 20 year SOL in Cali, I was actually suprised to see Experian deleted mine.  These are kind of last ditch efforts. 

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Revelate, thanks for the reply!  Do you know where I could locate that SOL on 5 year collection for tax debt?  The lien is paid and released but anything I could try and get it deleted off TU and Equifax would be appreciated.  The lien was released 11/4/2011, filed 6/3/10.  TU estimates 10/2018 that it will be removevd.  

Sorry to hear about the 20 year SOL in Cali, I was actually suprised to see Experian deleted mine.  These are kind of last ditch efforts. 

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/collections/Pages/Statute_of_Limitations.aspx

If it was filed 6/3/10 it's already past SOL, dispute as obsolete and reference the MN statute 270C.64 as the lien is no longer enforceable.

The estimate is likely wrong in any case, tax liens now are 7 years from filing date if paid across all 3 bureaus, or 6/3/17 in your case from several reports here including personal experience, but I'd still go the dispute route as a result of the SOL like right now. Smiley Happy.  

I did manage to get an IRS lien airstruck based on that from all three bureaus (10 years from the assessment date in the IRS's case), don't see why it shouldn't potentially work for you given MN's SOL in this case.

        
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, thank you so much!  I am going to print that baby out and type up another letter and send those off to TU and Equifax Tuesday.  I cannot hurt!

Message 5 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

No it can't hurt. I henestly wasn't expecting you to say any of the bureaus deleted it, so congrats on that!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.