Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping the service with DirectTV

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stopping the service with DirectTV

Hello,

I have a directTV account that I have never used from the day I received it.

They have said it is 2 year contract. If I terminate early, I have to pay for remaining months of the contract. I have asked them to cancel the service since I am not using it. If I ask them again and stop paying, How will it affect my credit? will I have issues for refinane, car loan etc? If it badly affects, I would rather pay all those unfair bills.

Thank you and appreciate the help!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Re: Stopping the service with DirectTV

Let's say you stop payment, they may send you a request to pay the bill if they still feel you owe or warn you it will go to a collection agency, if this happens, they will report to the credit bureaus that you have a collection, this impacts your credit score really bad and your loans could in turn start charging you more, credit cards may even cancel their existing business with you if they feel you have become a great risk.

However for Direct TV to hand over your account to a collection agency is pretty drastic, usually it is a last resort, i.e. your account has been turned off already from not paying for so long and they have tried many time to get their payment and also warned you about transferring your account to a collection agency. But I don't suggest you risk taking it that far, if you end up over paying them worst case scenario is they will send you a check back, this is a much safer route, just continue to talk to reps from direct tv and their supervisors on a daily basis until your issue is resolved.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I appreciate the response. I will try talking to them.

Message 3 of 8
Melanie220
Frequent Contributor

Hi guys. Hopefully one of you can help me with my DirectTv drama. I had directv in 2010. Service was horrible so I canceled. I then was told that I was in a 2yr contract and so on. Now NCO finance is trying to collect 546. For early termination and a supposed bill. I called direct TV and asked them to send me the last bill. They sent me the bill but it has a zero balance due. I'm lost now and don't know what to do? Can anyone offer any advice. Thanks in advance!
Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have a directTV account that I have never used from the day I received it.

They have said it is 2 year contract. If I terminate early, I have to pay for remaining months of the contract. I have asked them to cancel the service since I am not using it. If I ask them again and stop paying, How will it affect my credit? will I have issues for refinane, car loan etc? If it badly affects, I would rather pay all those unfair bills.

Thank you and appreciate the help!!

I would proceed very carefully with this.  I had their service and actually suspended it while I moved and found a place to live.  I was living with my sister and never heard anything from them, no bills etc.  Stupid me assumed all was ok.

One day I went to get money out of my account and DirectTV had taken over $700 out of my account.  They charged me for the remaining months and the equipment.  When I contacted them and asked what the heck they said I never suspended my service.  It was a big mess.  They refused to listen to their recordings to prove I had called and suspended service.  I never recouped my money.

There is also a blurb in their fine print that says they will use any debit/credit card EVER used on the account to get their money.  Whether you have taken it off or not.  They save the information.

Message 5 of 8
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Melanie220 wrote:
Hi guys. Hopefully one of you can help me with my DirectTv drama. I had directv in 2010. Service was horrible so I canceled. I then was told that I was in a 2yr contract and so on. Now NCO finance is trying to collect 546. For early termination and a supposed bill. I called direct TV and asked them to send me the last bill. They sent me the bill but it has a zero balance due. I'm lost now and don't know what to do? Can anyone offer any advice. Thanks in advance!

If NCO bought the debt then NCO owns the debt owed. Which means Direct TV is correct by saying you owe $0 since NCO bought the debt from them.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you stop payment in a manner that does not violate your agreement and they assert it does, you have a contested issue until you get a legal determination that you dont owe it.  So if you want to contest the matter and the FCRA/FDCPA validation and dispute processes provide their verification, you will most likely have to go to court and convince a judge.

Meanwhile, they can charge-off the debt, refer to collection, or bring legal action if still within SOL.  Additionally, even if they take none of those actions, and CR exclusion has passed, you still have an assertion of unpaid, delinquent debt that might be discovered by means other than a pull of your CR.

It wont go away, even after CR exclusion.

Message 7 of 8
Melanie220
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I called Direct TV and asked them to mail me proof of the amount that was owed though, and that's why I'm confused by the zero balance. I'm going to DV NCO and see if they can get my proof of the balance. Thanks
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.