Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards vs. Credit Unions vs. Big Bank CLs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store Cards vs. Credit Unions vs. Big Bank CLs

I don't think the card type (store, CU, major bank card) matters nearly as much as almost all of the other data surrounding the account(s).

Someone could have a major bank card that is barely used.  Maybe it's a $10k Amex card that has a "high balance" of $100 for example and a current balance of $0.  Compare that to someone with a $30k Lowe's card with a "high balance" of $10k from a bunch of home projects with a current balance of (say) $200 and that Lowe's account tells a potential lender a heck of a lot more about the cardholders ability to pay down a large balance.  That's just one example of course. 

I think the "answer" here though is that it's very lender-specific.  There's no blanket statement or "rule" that's going to cover all examples/situations... like "all" lenders view store cards [relative to bank cards] a certain way, etc. 

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bear in mind too that one's total credit limit can matter a lot to a CC issuer (though not to all of them -- as other folks here have stressed there is wide variability in what criteria affect their own internal policies).

In Dec 2018 I had FICO 8 scores in the 840s, no store cards, 12 major credit cards, the highest of which had a CL of 30k.  

In Jan 2019 Cap One approved me for a 30k card but NFCU (three days ago) only approved me for a 10k card.

With the Cap One card, my total credit limit was about twice my gross income.  Maybe NFCU would have given me a higher starting limit if my total CL had been lower?

Message 12 of 13
rdtech
Established Member

Thanks to all that replied! All answers were very helpful and gave me some additional insight!

Starting Score: TU: 574
Current Score: TU: 740 EX: 680 EQ: 680
Goal Score: TU: 740 EX: 740 EQ: 740

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.