Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straight to collections - do not pass go

tag
message_from_god
New Contributor

Straight to collections - do not pass go

Hey guys!

I just got word from myFICO that a colection acct has been added to my credit reports.  I have no knowledge of this acct.  I'm in a fight w AAA (autoobile Assoc of Am) - the creditor - because they refused to pay my insurance claim after I paid into it for years.  And I told them I would not be renewing my membership because of this.  Today I got a notification - two - that both my Exp and Eq reports have been dinged with a "collection" acct for $80 from AAA through a collection agency who is not AAA - dated 2/1/2017 for the debt.  I spoke on the phone w AAA at around that time to let them know I would not be continuing when they called to renew my membership.  I called AAA today and they said they had no record of this debt.  They said to talk to this other dept and I put a call in but have not heard back.  

I disputed the charge as unkknown debt and told them I was never contacted abt the debt.  Is there anything else I need to say to cover my butt here and utilize my rights vis a vis the CA's?  Thanks!  

Progress FICO8 since summer 2015 Eq 763 (+171) TU 798 (+189) Ex 761 (+259)
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Straight to collections - do not pass go

I would wait for a decision on your pending dispute.

Accuracy of reporting cannot be contesting with the courts until the consumer has first disputed the accuracy, thus providing the furnisher with the ability to correct.

My only concern is whether your dispute simply stated that you do not recognize the debt, or whehter you also provided the detailed explanation set forth in your post.

The debt collector is required to conduct a reasonable investigation of your dispute.  If you only stated that you dont recognize the debt, then the issue of whether or not your membership was properly renewed would not likely be a reasonable part of their investigation.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would wait for a decision on your pending dispute.

Accuracy of reporting cannot be contesting with the courts until the consumer has first disputed the accuracy, thus providing the furnisher with the ability to correct.

My only concern is whether your dispute simply stated that you do not recognize the debt, or whehter you also provided the detailed explanation set forth in your post.

The debt collector is required to conduct a reasonable investigation of your dispute.  If you only stated that you dont recognize the debt, then the issue of whether or not your membership was properly renewed would not likely be a reasonable part of their investigation.

Message 3 of 4
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

When you're talking membership are you talking about AAA roadside service? If so, that is different than AAA Insurance. They are technically different companies under the AAA umbrella. If you've been talking to AAA Insurance about a collection issued by AAA roadside service than you'd likely get the response you got. You may want to visit your local AAA office or contact AAA roadside membership services to find resolution.

That is just the impression I am getting based on how your post is typed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.