Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange letter from experian after credit freeze

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange letter from experian after credit freeze

I put my all 3 reports on ice and i got a strange letter from experian saying 'we have removed your information from preapproved offers for 5 years , of you permeanently want to remove it return this letter with details etcetc'. Is this normal if you freeze your credit reports? 

I thought creditors can still do sps and one can still receive preapproved offers? Am i wrong?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Strange letter from experian after credit freeze

@Anonymous wrote:

I put my all 3 reports on ice and i got a strange letter from experian saying 'we have removed your information from preapproved offers for 5 years , of you permeanently want to remove it return this letter with details etcetc'. Is this normal if you freeze your credit reports? 

I thought creditors can still do sps and one can still receive preapproved offers? Am i wrong?

Placing a freeze on your credit file with any CRA automatically generates a pre-screen opt out, because a freeze is normally associated with at least suspected fraudulent activity, at least it used to be until Equifax came along with their incompetent security. I did a pre-screen opt out last spring and really enjoy not getting credit offers in the mail. I'm carrying several grand in CC balances but it's all 0% intro rate or BTs, but I was getting several personal loan offers per week, often with pre-approval codes. We were having problems with mail theft in my area so that made me nervous. When I did pre-screen opt-out the offers stopped in a week or so, and I haven't received a credit offer in the mail since. Good, I haven't received a mailed credit offer that interested me in years.

If you really don't want to be opted out of pre-screened offers you might try opting back in here: https://www.optoutprescreen.com

I know that if you opt out on that site like I did you can opt back in anytime there, but not sure if since your opt out was generated by a freeze if it will let you opt in, but worth a try

And no, creditors can not still sp account reviews, freezing your credit file blocks any & everyone from accessing your file. If you have 3rd party monitoring like Credit Karma they can no longer access your file to give you scores & reports. For this reason I chose to just lock my file, you can do that only with a service directly from each CRA. Locking your file prevents any HPs from new credit apps, but your existing creditors & monitoring services can still SP & account review your account. But any new monitoring services are blocked. I locked my file with all 3 CRA 9/11. Last week while logged into my Synchrony Lowes account they started offering free monthly Fico scores, so I clicked to enroll and got an error message that they could not enroll me because my TU file was locked. Good! I already get 3 monthly free TU Fico scores from Synch/Wallmart, BoA & Disco.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Strange letter from experian after credit freeze

The FCRA specifically includes provision to automatically place an opt-out from preapproval listings requested by creditors when a fraud alert is placed by a consumer.

While a credit report freeze is not covered under the FCRA per se, most freeze provisions also apply an automatic opt-out.

You can rescind any such opt out at any time by sending notitifcation to the CRA.

You can also impose an opt-out at any time.

If you receive any notice of impostion or removal of any opt-out and you wish the opposite, the CRA must comply if you send explicit instructions to do so.  See FCRA 604(e).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.