Transunion 681

Experian 678

Have a 13 % credit utilization rate on 14,050 available credit

4 derogatory marks that are from 2012

28 total accounts

4 years 3 months average age of credit history

17 hard inquiries

90 % on time payment history

I don't see what else I can really do to make my credit rise other than waiting for the derogatory marks to be removed.

Does anybody else have any ideas for raising the credit to the 700 range?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stuck in the 645-680 range--want to be near 700

Keep util under 10%, make all payments on time vs 90%, no more inquiries/pulls for anything and then time.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 90 % on time payments is because of the derogatory marks on my record from 2012-2013. For the last 4 years, I have made all my payments on time and have even paid extra every month. I will have to stop the credit inquiries I agree. 

Message 3 of 16
jlitnns
Established Contributor

wrote:

Have been stuck in these ranges for awhile

Current Scores are this

Equifax 646

Transunion 681

Experian 678

4 derogatory marks that are from 2012

28 total accounts

4 years 3 months average age of credit history

17 hard inquiries

90 % on time payment history

I don't see what else I can really do to make my credit rise other than waiting for the derogatory marks to be removed.

Does anybody else have any ideas for raising the credit to the 700 range?

How recent is your most recent inquiry and newest account?

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newest account is from last month when I got my car refinanced from State Farm to Navy Federal. Went from a 5.9 % interest rate to a 3.3 %.

Last inquiry is from 2 weeks ago when I tried to up my checking line of credit from 2000 to 2500. 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

1.  Stop applying for things

2.  Keep making your payments

3.  Time.

All you can do right now is make your credit worse.  Those derogs MUST age off, and your new accounts/inquiries penalties must drop off

In 12 months (or 24 depending on when in 2012 those derogs are from) youll be 750 if you do this.

Trust us.  Leave it all alone and garden, right meow.

In fact we will go together, since our credit situation is almost identical.  I have a stubborn derog from 2012, 25 inqs, 18 accounts under 2 years old.  Time to plant a seed-ah, a seed-ah faith-ah.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, two things here.  Payment history and Utilization.  These two factors combined comprise 2/3 of your FICO score.  Currently, you are falling short on 2/3 of the FICO pie.

Taking your overall utilization from the teens to 8.9% or less will maximize the utilization slice of the pie.  That could score you another 15-30 points and is the easiest thing for you to do quickly to increase your score.  Definitely do that.

Percentage of on-time payments is irrelevant.  CMS software like Credit Karma and others will use fluff charts/graphs/tables and different colors to suggest that 97% on time payments is "better" than 90% (for example) when in actuality it isn't when it comes to scoring.  When it comes to FICO scoring, there are 2 categories.  100% and everything else below 100%.  95%, 90%, 70%, 55% etc. it doesn't matter if it isn't 100%.  Someone that has a single 90 day late payment from 3 years ago won't have a significantly different score as someone else with five different 90 day late payments from 3 years ago.  Once you're in a "dirty" bucket (score card) you're going to have a dirty score and all it takes is 1 negative piece of information to get you there.

So, what can you do about it?  You can hammer away with GW requests in an effort to get negative items removed.  Here's a thread that I started on the topic a while back that has helped many people get negative items removed and has resulted in lots of score increases.  I was able to take my scores from 619 to the 830's-840's in a year and a half using the method linked below which helped me clean up 4 different filthy accounts, taking me from a dirty bucket to a clean one:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

Message 7 of 16
DollyLama
Established Contributor

wrote:

Have been stuck in these ranges for awhile

Current Scores are this

Equifax 646

Transunion 681

Experian 678

28 total accounts

Are the 28 accounts both open and closed or just open accounts? If the latter, don't carry a balance that will report monthly on most of cards. ie, if you have 10 credit or store cards reporting a balance each month, reduce that down by paying them in full BEFORE the statement cuts, so you have about 1 for every 3 for a start. Many here aim for AZEO, all reporting zero balance except one. This applies to credit and store cards only, not a mortgage or installment. You may use throughout the month, but make a list of each card and when the statement cuts noted on your bill, not the due date.

In my rebuild, to make my reports appear better, I closed subprime cards (low limit, never a credit line increase, annual fee-not working for me anymore card). As long as it is not your oldest age card which deemed the age of your oldest account, it did not hurt me. They had served their purpose and no longer needed. The history will still remain for 10 years, so my file will still be a bit thicker as when my last hard inquiry as far as FICO 8 is scoreable, drops off in April-one year from applying. 

Message 8 of 16
jlitnns
Established Contributor

wrote:

3.  Time.

All you can do right now is make your credit worse.  Those derogs MUST age off, and your new accounts/inquiries penalties must drop off

In 12 months (or 24 depending on when in 2012 those derogs are from) youll be 750 if you do this.

In fact we will go together, since our credit situation is almost identical.  I have a stubborn derog from 2012, 25 inqs, 18 accounts under 2 years old.  Time to plant a seed-ah, a seed-ah faith-ah.

I'm also in the same boat...scores are a bit stale. I've just come to the conclusion that I need a solid year of no HP activity. App spree in June and all the HP's hurt. My only derog is a late payment from Nov 2016, and that hurts. That and young accounts just need to age.

Robot Very Happy

Message 9 of 16
Kree
Established Contributor

wrote:

3.  Time.

Depending on AoOA I could see this profile pushing 800+ once the inquiries and derogs fall off.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.