cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Status after 7 years (credit report related)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Status after 7 years (credit report related)

i have a late from student loans on my reports from April-July of 2010... 7 years from that would be this upcoming spring in April-July 2017. However i think it's my equifax credit report has a date of 2018 that it will be removed from my reports. Should i dispute or are there certain instances where it takes longer than the 7 years to come off? Seems likei remember a message at some point saying: This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Jul 2015.. I know some have access to reports which has dates that lates will be removed. None of the credit reports i view show that. where can i find credit reports with removal dates? thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Student Loan Status after 7 years (credit report related)

Private student loans are governed by the FCRA, with monthly delinquencies excluded no later than 7 years from their mo/yr of occurence.

However, federal student loans are governed by the separate provisions of the Higher Education Act, which provides that if the loan has become delinquent, the credit report exclusion period is extended past 7 years as long as the account remains delinquent.  Once the loan is paid back into pays as agreed, good standing (or, of course, paid off), then the exclusion period reverts back to the normal 7 year period under the FCRA.

Thus, two conditions determine the exclusion period of monthly delinquencies for student loans.

One, is the loan a federally insured or guaranteed loan, and two, is the loan still delinquent, or has it been returned to good-standing after the delinquency?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thx for the reply. basically 2 sets of loans. pretty sure all are federal.  going to have to call them and do some research and figure all that out. i'm 99.9% sure they are all in OK standing and have been since 2010 on one set of 4 loans with Navient. Been in ok standing since 2012 on another set of 4 with U.S. Dept of Ed...the set of 4 from US Dept of Ed looks to have been transferred to Navient in 2013... So while it was with Dept of Ed it is showing as late in 2012 on Transunion only then in ok status before being transferred to Navient in 2013 on all 3 reports and has been in ok standing ever since. not sure if ur able to follow that. Going to call monday and get all the facts.. Just trying to figure out when these will fall off. thx again.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

so basically i have 4 Navient  loans showing late only from April-July in 2010. They have been in ok standing since then..These appear on all 3 credit reports. Was hoping they fall off in 2017. But i think it shows 2018 for some reason at one point when i checked.

Then i have the other 4 US Dept of Ed loans which were transferred in 2013 to Navient loans. They only appear as late on Transunion in 2012 for a few months before showing ok standing before the transfer to Navient in 2013. Those 4 since the transfer to Navient have been in good standing ever since. They only appear as negative on Transunion for that stretch in 2012

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.