cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submitted a dispute and my score decreased 45 points!

tag
CaptCami
Established Member

Submitted a dispute and my score decreased 45 points!

Submitted a dispute to Equifax today to remove a credit one account from my report along with the LVNV collection agency that bought the debt. Seems someone opened a $300 card in my name. I reported the fraud to my local sheriffs office and submitted a copy of that report with the dispute. Logged in this evening to check my scored and Equifax dropped 45 pts!! Due to the dispute being opened. I'll be anxiously waiting for my score to recover. I'll post the results for anyone interested.

Score took a pretty big dip.  Argh!

I have yet to dispute this card of experian, will probably do that tmrw. I'll post the result of that as well. Yikes!

Transunion has already removed it without any issue. 

Starting Score: 488 2017
Goal Score: 750

Inquiries: Ex 6 Tu 2 Eq 7

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Submitted a dispute and my score decreased 45 points!

What’s the source of your score? Is it the Equifax score on their site? If so, relax - they’re showing you some Equifax proprietary score, not a FICO score.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can you be sure that the dispute dropped your score and that it wasn't related to another factor(s)?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

A FICO drop of that amount could be because of a reaged CO or a new CA. I would check the FULL updated CR for verification. A disputed item being removed would have the opposite effect. Not sure how the whole "Fraud Alert" being placed on file would play out. From your starting score it seems there is some previous history there. You may want to double check whats happening in the background.

Message 4 of 6
CaptCami
Established Member

It dropped when I opened the dispute. It's not completed yet. 

Message 5 of 6
CaptCami
Established Member

One inquiry dropped off my Equifax report within the same week of filing the dispute which brings my inquiries to zero! No debt change, no credit balance change, no new apps, no new anything. I keep my credit cards below 30%, paid in full every month.

I have absolutely nothing else going on with my credit right now.

The drop doesn't worry me, I know it will jump back up. It was a PSA for others on here that are rebuilding as well. 45 pts seems excessive but I guess that's what they're doing these days. 

Currently; two credit cards, two student loans, no mortgage, no auto loans, perfect payment history aside from the disputed account, no other collection accounts aside from that either. Will be excited to see my new score when the dispute is completed! 

I do want to finance something after I find out what my score is after the dispute. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.