Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sueing Credit Union

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Sueing Credit Union

Hey guys, so I'm not going into the details but let's just say that I got approved for the credit card and it's been weeks since they said that it would arrive but never did. They are not even from out of state so not even sure why it would take 2-3 weeks to get a credit card. I read on yelp about that credit union and they said that the people there are liars and whatnot but that's when I didn't know about the reviews, I've had bad credit unions in the past but I wanted to take legal action this time. Who could I report this to and what can I do about this situation? Thanks!

Plus, I seen that they pulled for all 3 credit Bureau which doesn't make any sense.

I don't have time for games and I don't play when it comes to money.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sueing Credit Union

I know people that have waited weeks for credit cards. What are you wanting to sue for? Because they didn't get you your credit card fast enough?

If you have not yet waited 2 months then just chill & relax. Typically people get them in less than 2 weeks but thats not always the case.

Pulling 3 bureaus is fine. Unless what you consented to was only pulling one or two credit bureaus. Which I've never heard of.

Message 2 of 22
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Legal action should always be the last resort, never the first. Have you called them? Even though ther CU is in state very few CUs make their own credit cards, other companies make them. But 2-3 weeks is a long time, you should call them and confirm the card hasn't been stolen & used fraudulently. And when you apply for credit you give consent to pull your credit report and that is not limited to just 1 CRA.

I am not an attorney and have no legal training, but actually I've filed a lawsuit Pro Se (self representation, no attorney) against the car dealer where I bought a car last fall and have done quite a bit of research. To file legal action you must have 1) Cause and Right of action; and  2)Suffered harm as a result of the actions of the defendant. You have suffered no harm yet, taking longer than you want to deliver you the card is not legal harm. With no harm you have no cause of action, As a member of the credit union you do have the right of action, but 1 out of 3 doesn't cut it.

Message 3 of 22
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Have you called them or gone into their local branch & inquired? What did they say? Why won't you share more info? I'm a member of a small credit union & it took them a month to get me a debit card. They make them internally & it takes time. My credit union also does most loan/credit apps by manual review so approvals aren't quick either. Small credit unions won't move at the same pace as big banks. 3 credit pulls (one per bureau) isn't abnormal. Some creditors do that (Cap1 is the most common).

It sounds like you have come up with expectations of what you think should be the timeframe. I'm not sure this is worth suing.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking about suing Penfed for not answering my calls in less than 10 mins after reading this thread.
Message 5 of 22
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If it is a federal credit union, you can file a formal complaint under the NAFCU complaint/complaince provisions.

The CFPB only has jurisdiction over large banks.

If it is not a federal credit union, then you should contact the state regulatory agency for credit unions.

I would not consider civil action until at least consulting with the relevant state or federal regulatory agency.

You can always choose to file a civil action, but the first step is identification of the statute or regulation that is asserted to have been violated.

The post does not identify a specific statutory or regulatory provision that has been violated.

That will normally require consultation with an attorney.

Message 6 of 22
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Yes I called them, I emailed them, they said they would send it and that I just have to wait. It's not that I don't want to share more info but I don't want to share the actual name of it, it's basically the whole point of it all in short of what happened.

Oh okay, I understand. But, I would she for lying/litigation privilege. It doesn't make sense that I got approved for the credit card and not get the actual card.
Message 7 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:
I'm thinking about suing Penfed for not answering my calls in less than 10 mins after reading this thread.

Your pain and suffering were felt around the world. 

I'm in, lets make it a class action suit

Message 8 of 22
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TheBoondockswrote:
Hey guys, so I'm not going into the details but let's just say that I got approved for the credit card and it's been weeks since they said that it would arrive but never did. They are not even from out of state so not even sure why it would take 2-3 weeks to get a credit card. I read on yelp about that credit union and they said that the people there are liars and whatnot but that's when I didn't know about the reviews, I've had bad credit unions in the past but I wanted to take legal action this time. Who could I report this to and what can I do about this situation? Thanks!

Plus, I seen that they pulled for all 3 credit Bureau which doesn't make any sense.

I don't have time for games and I don't play when it comes to money.

So let me see if I understand this.....

You want to "sue" a CU that approved you for a CC, that did a triple pull,  that you havent received yet, all because you read some bad reviews on yelp? 

Banks and CU's dont make their own "in house" CC's.  They are actually outsourced in a different state, and sometimes it can take a few weeks to get the card. I would have just called the CU, inquired to where my card was, and if they stated it was already mailed on such and such date, just requested that the card be closed, and a new one sent back out for security reasons, which Ive actually done before.

Also, its not uncommon for a lender to double or triple pull  (cap 1 does it) for credit products.  Its in their right to do so. I mean, what leg do you think you have to stand on in a civil case against a CU??  

Message 9 of 22
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@RobertEGwrote:

If it is a federal credit union, you can file a formal complaint under the NAFCU complaint/complaince provisions.

The CFPB only has jurisdiction over large banks.

If it is not a federal credit union, then you should contact the state regulatory agency for credit unions.

I would not consider civil action until at least consulting with the relevant state or federal regulatory agency.

You can always choose to file a civil action, but the first step is identification of the statute or regulation that is asserted to have been violated.

The post does not identify a specific statutory or regulatory provision that has been violated.

That will normally require consultation with an attorney.

I was hoping youd step in here Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.