Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions to expand my portfolio?

tag
800who
Regular Contributor

Suggestions to expand my portfolio?

I had an auto lease until August, when that got designated as paid off my score dipped 30 points :/, all I have now is the three cards in my sig. The PP is my daily driver 2% cash back, I use the BCE for groceries only(3%) and the Disco for rotating 5% which I rarely use. I've been on the look out for any potential cards, but nothing really justifies getting in my opinon.. I just bought a car outright which I considered getting a loan on just to expand the portfolio, but I went against that idea.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Suggestions to expand my portfolio?

If you want to recover the points you lost from having a low-balance installment reporting, you could look into opening an SSL at Navy (or another lender that lets you pay down 91% of the loan w/o advancing the maturity date).  You'd be paying for score in the sense that you'd pay some minimal amount of interest, but you still may or may not find it worth it, depending on where your scores are.  For cards, since you already have three & assuming you're only interested in cash back, the only thing I would look at is whether you have any higher-spend categories in your monthly budget, e.g. dining, and then research cards that give 3%+ for those cat's.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant/USBank/Penfed/NFCU personal loan can be prepaid to get the point boost while also avoiding substantial interest.

Message 3 of 4
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Since you have no other installment loans, getting the SSL as mentioned is potential idea, depending on where your scores are as mentioned it may or not be worth paying the minimal interest to get a scores boost.  I agree with the idea of adding a 3% dining/travel card if you do any of that kind of spend. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.