Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-mobile Last bill to collection?

tag
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

T-mobile Last bill to collection?

By T-mobile bill was due on the 7th of each month and I canceled my account on the 8th. I had one day of use and they are sending me the full month bill for that day of use. If collection didn't affect my credit, I wouldn't pay this bill because I feel I been billed unfair. I have not paid this bill yet and it hasn't gotten to collection yet.

Do I have a case if I take them to court for ripping me off?

T

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: T-mobile Last bill to collection?

IMO, you should have cancelled on the 7th and if there's a chance to pay before a late payment posts, do it.

Choose your battles wisely. A late payment will hang around 7 years.

Your agreement should spell out billing, cancellation, pro-rating, etc...

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eddymvp wrote:

By T-mobile bill was due on the 7th of each month and I canceled my account on the 8th. I had one day of use and they are sending me the full month bill for that day of use. If collection didn't affect my credit, I wouldn't pay this bill because I feel I been billed unfair. I have not paid this bill yet and it hasn't gotten to collection yet.

Do I have a case if I take them to court for ripping me off?

T

By chance did you port your number to a different carrier, or did you simply cancel everything and you no longer have a phone?

Message 3 of 18
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

+1. I would pay the bill. It is not worth the damage to your credit file or the stress.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Billing issues can be disputed within 60 days under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA).

What was the date of the disputed billing?

Message 5 of 18
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

I ported my number over to another carrier.

Message 6 of 18
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

I feel is unfair for them to charge me the whole bill for a few hours of used.

Message 7 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then I suggest that you file an FCBA billing dispute, and hope that they dont dismiss it as untimely.

Check out the FTC homepage for a summary of the FCBA dispute process.

Message 8 of 18
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

Thanks RobertEG,

I'm sending them the following letter, please help me on how to word it better.

Date
Your Name
Your Address
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Account Number

Name of Creditor
Billing Inquiries
Address
City, State, Zip Code

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute a billing error in the amount of $96.00 on my account. The amount is inaccurate because  is unfair to charge me the whole billing cycle for this service when I only used it for a few hours. I should only be charged the time I used. I am requesting that the error be corrected, that any finance and other charges related to the disputed amount be credited as well, and that I receive an accurate statement.

Enclosed are copies of (use this sentence to describe any enclosed information, such as sales slips, payment records) supporting my position. Please investigate this matter and correct the billing error as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Your name
Enclosures: (List what you are enclosing.)

Message 9 of 18
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Disputing it as a billing error because "it is unfair" is unlikely to gather much attention. What you need to do is go over your contract or look on the service providers website for contract disclosures that state what the procedure is for cancellation within a billing period.

If they had previously disclosed that you would be charged for a full service period when canceling after the start of that period then while I agree it is "unfair" the billing is correct. If they state that billing will be prorated then you have an argument for inaccurate billing.

Edit to add: Have you tried a POLITE phone call to customer service to resolve the issue?

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.