Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-mobile Last bill to collection?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: T-mobile Last bill to collection?

The reason I asked whether or not you ported your number to a new carrier is because it may be what screwed you (sorry for the language, haha).

Excerpt from their user agreement/T&C:

"If you port your number, you will be responsible for all usage and Charges through the end of your current billing cycle."

From that, it sounds as if you may not really have an argument.  I actually work for an authorized retailer of the 4 major carriers and I can tell you T-Mobile is the worst one to deal with in terms of having any prorated in any way, shape, or form.

Good luck, but your best bet is to just bite the bill and move on.

Message 11 of 18
Chrysostom
New Contributor

A $96 phone bill? You're willing to risk massive damage to your credit - 80-100 points if it goes to collections, at least - over a NINETY-SIX DOLLAR PHONE BILL?

I pay $165 a month for mine through Sprint (and an additional $10 for another line), and before I switched to Sprint, the same crap (although with better coverage/stronger signal, and slightly faster data... Verizon gave me about 20/2.5mbps [on LTE], Sprint gives me 14/1.5mbps [on WiMax, I don't live in a Sprint LTE zone... which sucks, because I wanted to upgrade to an SIII, but the SIII, unlike the SII, doesn't have a WiMax radio, so I'd be stuck with 3G for who knows how long... even though WiMax drains the battery insanely fast, that is, if the phone is in use, it has about 2.5 hours of battery to it], no difference noticeable in the speed in how I use it, except that I use about 30-50GB of mobile data a month, including tethering, and Sprint is far, far cheaper for data) cost me $290 a month (and $19 for a second line).

Pay it, and count yourself lucky!

Goal: 760 by End of Year
Current Score: 714 TU (2-3/12); 681 EQ (2-3/12); 714 EX (AmEx Pull: 2-7/12); 777 VantageScore (2-3/12)
AmEx BCE ($4k) - AmEx SPG ($7.5k) - Amex PRG (NPSL) - Citi Forward ($7.6k) - Discover IT ($3k) - BankAmericard Cash Rewards ($5k)
Chase Freedom ($1k) - Chase Amazon ($3k) - PayPal Extras ($6k) - Cap One Cash ($0.5k) - Amazon Store ($2.5k)

Application-Free Since the 14th of the Second May of 2012.
Message 12 of 18
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

The bill is about 329.00 $200.00 for early cancelation fee which I'm fine paying.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eddymvp wrote:

The bill is about 329.00 $200.00 for early cancelation fee which I'm fine paying.

The $200 early termination fee is moot at this point as there is nothing you can do about that.  Since you ported your number to a different carrier, they can also bill you through the rest of the billing cycle/month.  I work for an authorized retailer for T-Mobile, and I can tell you at this point there is really nothing you can do other than ask them nicely, which didn't seem to work.

In the agreement you signed along with your two-year contract, they have the following:

"If you port your number, you will be responsible for all usage and Charges through the end of your current billing cycle."

That means, even though your service is technically canceled when the port is completed, they can still bill you for a full month.  I've seen it happen many times, and T-Mobile is the worst out of all the carriers in terms of prorating anything, because they almost never do.

Sorry, but you're out of luck.  Pay the bill.

Message 14 of 18
DrivenDoctoress
Valued Member

I'd say tread carefully on this one. About a year and a half ago this happened to me... I requested that my number be ported on the last day of my billing cycle (this request was over the phone) and they agreed, but it wasn't ported until the next day and they sent me a full bill. I was irritated and told them I wasn't responsible for that amount and I expected them to drop it. They didn't. Now I have a 480 dollar collection account. Sigh. I mishandled that so badly and wish I would have just paid it.

Edited to add: That collection account isn't actually on my credit report thankfully, I'm trying to handle it before they add it to my report.

Starting Scores July 2012: EQ FICO 645, TU FICO 636, EXP (CCT) 638
Feb 2015 Scores: EQ FICO 758, TU FICO 753, EX 749
Message 15 of 18
Chrysostom
New Contributor

T-Mobile is the worst of all carriers for just about everything - now I can add prorating to the list. I say "just about" because I don't want to find out that some regional carrier or prepaid service that I've never dealt with is actually worse in some regard. I think the general wisdom (or at least mine) on mobile common carriers is:

1. Verizon, if you can afford it and don't mind paying it. From LTE to FiOS, Verizon has the Midas touch, and expects you to pay by the Roman Talent. Overpriced and overpowered.
2. Sprint, if you can live with the weak signal (the price helps). Underpriced and underpowered.
3. AT&T, because who wants to deal with a Bell? I've never heard of any AT&T product, from enterprise telephone to U-verse, get a glowing recommendation. Overpriced and regular-powered.
4. Prepaid carriers (Boost, Virgin Mobile) and mobile virtual network operators (Revol) that get backhaul from one of the above.
4.1 US Cellular? I've never dealt with them
4.2 Regional carriers.
5. T-Mobile - Deutsche Telekom operating in the USA as a glorified MVNO - because you're always roaming, and paying for the privilege. Just as overpriced and way more underpowered, with bad hardware offerings (that aren't subsidised), it vies for the dubious distinction of being the Macintosh of the mobile world.

Goal: 760 by End of Year
Current Score: 714 TU (2-3/12); 681 EQ (2-3/12); 714 EX (AmEx Pull: 2-7/12); 777 VantageScore (2-3/12)
AmEx BCE ($4k) - AmEx SPG ($7.5k) - Amex PRG (NPSL) - Citi Forward ($7.6k) - Discover IT ($3k) - BankAmericard Cash Rewards ($5k)
Chase Freedom ($1k) - Chase Amazon ($3k) - PayPal Extras ($6k) - Cap One Cash ($0.5k) - Amazon Store ($2.5k)

Application-Free Since the 14th of the Second May of 2012.
Message 16 of 18
sperrin
Valued Member

You didn't get charged for the entire month.  You get billed for your cell phone bill the month AFTER you use it.  So you were being billed for the previous month of use.

Message 17 of 18
Croselx
Contributor

If you were on a contract you usually pay one month after use, this may be the confusion.

Basically:

Cycle begins on the 8th of month 1, ends on the 7th of month 2

You get a bill on month 2 with the charges from month 1

Since you ported on the 8th you should have x days of usage (pro rated) and the early cancellation fee. Replace 'x' with the amount of days it took you to fully port the number.

I worked as CSR and never saw a full month charge when customers ported their number, only pro rated for the current month, the cancellation fee AND the bill from the previous month, which was already used. IF it is in the contract that they will charge you full month of charges then you have no other option than pay the bill in full. It is not worth the headache over $100.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.