cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Redcard questions

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Target Redcard questions

I’m aware there’s a MasterCard version a store card version and I think a regular version. Can someone please confirm this? If so, there’s no inquiries or credit involved with the plain Jane redcard is there?
-Our Community’s updated scoring wisdom: Link to Scoring Primer.
-For Negative Reason Codes see: CassieCard’s Score Factors thread.
-ccquest’s workbook to calculate metrics for you: Link to Workbook.

Nov 2020, Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Account Scorecard (EX9 not updated yet. Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)
Real world mortgage maxes are: EQ5-818, TU4-839, EX2-844.

RIP:
(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Target Redcard questions

I know there is a Redcard credit card and a Redcard debit card.  There may also be a Redcard MC/Visa though I am not positive.  There is a credit check if you want the Redcard credit card.  I, personally have the debit card though I don't remember having a credit check done for the debit version.  Hope this helps.

Starting Scores (9/19): EQ - 474/TU - 528/EX - 502
Current Scores (12/20): EQ - 616- TU - 634/EX - 649
Comenity M/C - $1550.00, BJ's Perks MC - $1000.00, Credit One - $600.00, NFCU - $200.00, William Sonoma - $2000.00, Lands End - $500.00, Pottery Barn - $500.00, Fingerhut - $700.00
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I am assuming by "plain Jane" you mean the debit card? If so, then no there is no inquiry on your credit to get this card. You need to link your bank account. When you pay the funds are pulled directly from your linked bank account.

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Super Contributor

To be honest I didn’t even know that it was a debit card. I just knew they had a MasterCard a store card and then they said a redcard so I didn’t know if it was debit or what so that’s why I was seeking the knowledge of the forum.

Thank you for responding and educating me.

Nov 2020, Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Account Scorecard (EX9 not updated yet. Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)

RIP:
(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The credit version can also be upgraded to a MC by the issuer (TD Bank) if they determine an account to be worthy. Cannot be requested by a customer.

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Yeah I’m looking for the 5% off without having to open a new credit account. The debit card will get a 5% off still right?

RIP:
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Birdman7 wrote:
Yeah I’m looking for the 5% off without having to open a new credit account. The debit card will get a 5% off still right?

Yes, that's the way to go to get the discount without the HP and new account

Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

@Birdman7

Do you want to expose your banking relationship to Target Stores? You know as well as anyone about their outstanding system security! Com'mon!
Starting Score: 300
Current Score: 850
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Yes that was the next implication I was thinking of. I thought the regular card was just a discount card that kept points I didn’t realize it was a debit card until members educated me. I’ve got some thinking to do now.

RIP:
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.