Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for all your help, folks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your help, folks

Just wanted to drop y'all a quick line and say thank you for all the information that you guys are putting into this forum - I've been lurking for a couple years now and never posted.  I figured it was finally time...

About two years ago, my wife and I were in a pretty bad spot, credit wise  -  low 500's kind of bad.  I made a lot of bad decisions in my younger years and she never really had any credit, so we typically paid cash whenever we needed to.  I had some serious dental issues that needed to be resolved, but we had no way to afford them - we had been turned down for loans, credit cards etc.  I was finally able to get a CareCredit account for a few hundred dollars and a generous family member loaned us the rest, but it was a pretty humbling experience that we pretty much vowed we'd never allow ourselves to get into again...so we got to work.

A few months after that CareCredit account was opened and paid regularly, we got preapproval offers for Capitol One Platinum and took the leap.  $300 limits with a ridiculous APR, but it was a pretty exciting day for us.  We used it pretty heavily, always paying in full almost immediately for a couple more months before we got a couple more preapproval offers from Discover It...which we took and got what was for us huge credit lines of $2k each.  Another minor celebration, another few months of regular use and payments in full and my wife received a Visa preapproval from our bank, BBVA Compass - the same bank who turned us down for a $2k loan about a year prior.  She applied and was given an $11K limit - which pretty much resulted in a good Christmas for us.  We made some mistakes on that one, but 0% APR for 18 months is pretty forgiving.  A few months later, I rec'd an offer from AA for their rewards Visa and was given another $11K limit, which we promptly used for a tickets on dream trip to Ireland that we'd been saving for, but never realistically believing it would happen anytime soon.  We both felt like we were done with cards for the time being and didnt take any more offers, but the only card we had with no foreign transaction fees were the Mastercards, which had been increased to $500 each so we were on the lookout for a higher limit card.  Last night, after watching our scores climb (to us) pretty quickly over the past couple years, we got an offer for the Hilton Honors Amex.  We're staying in a Hilton on our trip, my wife was already an Honors member through work travel and it had a 0% APR for 12 months, along with no foreign fees - so we jumped on it and got a $5K limit from them.  We both pretty much feel like we've got all the cards we need, at least for the time being.

In the last 2 years, we've gone from low 500's to mid 700's (Discover Fico8 score) with approximately $35K in available credit - and a lot of those decisions were based on info that I got here...so thanks again.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thanks for all your help, folks

I love this story!
Congratulations on all you have accomplished!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I love this story!
Congratulations on all you have accomplished!

Thank you, Liz.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way to turn things around and learn from your mistakes.  I agree that this forum is absolutely fantastic and without it many of us wouldn't be where we are today with respect to our improved credit profiles.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Brutal.  Part of me feels a little stupid for getting to my 40's without fixing my credit but it's water under the bridge at this point.

Message 5 of 8
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the improvement. Now is the perfect time to start using some type of budget program. 

I certainly hope you enjoy the trip and everything Ireland has to offer. 

However, from my past experiences it takes discipline to see that available credit is not the same as money you have available. (Gets off soap box)

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Appleman wrote:

Congrats on the improvement. Now is the perfect time to start using some type of budget program. 

I certainly hope you enjoy the trip and everything Ireland has to offer. 

However, from my past experiences it takes discipline to see that available credit is not the same as money you have available. (Gets off soap box)

Thanks for the advice - already got the budget covered.

Message 7 of 8
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the improvement & the learning experience!  I was in the same boat (pretty much) when I found these forums years ago.  Horrible reports & low 500 scores.

My wake up call was when I couldn't even get a plane ticket back home when my mother was sick.  She passed away the day I finally got in.  I swore that day I would never be in that position again.

This forum has been a lifesaver, a learning experience and a huge support system when I needed it most.

I doubt anyone joined here because they had great credit....we joined because we were searching for help! 

I'm totally envious about your trip to Ireland!!!  Being Irish & Scottish, I've always wanted to visit my "home land"!! Heart

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.