Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Reality of Credit Cards

tag
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Re: The Reality of Credit Cards

A nice set of reminders for folks, thanks for those!

Message 11 of 16
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@GomerPyle wrote:

After playing the game for many years I wanted to share my thoughts about credit cards.

All of the credit cards in my wallet belong to their respective issuers. I am allowed to use them but I do not own them. The credit lines associated with that plastic also do not belong to me. It is not my money. That money I assume belongs to depositors in those institutions. Therefore I do not care nor am I distressed when card issuers do funky things with their cards.  They can do whatever they want to do. There are two things that belong to me in regards to credit cards. One is the accumulated debt that they incur. Yes, the debt is mine. It is all mine. Therefore, I pay my credit cards in full so that I do not own the debt. The other thing that I own are the rewards. I redeem the rewards regularly before the card companies change their minds and steal the rewards. I absolutely do not trust them now or ever.
Credit is a game and it pays to know the rules. I play the game so that I will always win. I hate to lose. It pays to pay attention because everything in this game is stacked against the card holder. Large print giveth but fine print taketh away. There is no lender on earth that has your best interest at heart. They are all ruthless and care only about being repaid and thereby guaranteeing they make a profit. In reality, you are an account number and not even a real person to them. Be careful as you play this game because there are always sharks in the water ready to feast on you. Borrowing money is a stupid pathway to being in debt.  Some would call me pessimistic. I prefer realistic.  Cards are a blessing or they are a curse.  You get to choose.

Just a nit pick, it not just depositers, the bank also lends out money recieved from bonds holders, which I think technicley are not deposits.

Message 12 of 16
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Great post. This is has been my thought pattern for decades. I treat my credit cards just like a debit card. If I don't have the money then I don't need it. I keep money in the bank for emergencies and save for anything I wish to purchase. 

@GomerPyle wrote:

After playing the game for many years I wanted to share my thoughts about credit cards.

All of the credit cards in my wallet belong to their respective issuers. I am allowed to use them but I do not own them. The credit lines associated with that plastic also do not belong to me. It is not my money. That money I assume belongs to depositors in those institutions. Therefore I do not care nor am I distressed when card issuers do funky things with their cards.  They can do whatever they want to do. There are two things that belong to me in regards to credit cards. One is the accumulated debt that they incur. Yes, the debt is mine. It is all mine. Therefore, I pay my credit cards in full so that I do not own the debt. The other thing that I own are the rewards. I redeem the rewards regularly before the card companies change their minds and steal the rewards. I absolutely do not trust them now or ever.
Credit is a game and it pays to know the rules. I play the game so that I will always win. I hate to lose. It pays to pay attention because everything in this game is stacked against the card holder. Large print giveth but fine print taketh away. There is no lender on earth that has your best interest at heart. They are all ruthless and care only about being repaid and thereby guaranteeing they make a profit. In reality, you are an account number and not even a real person to them. Be careful as you play this game because there are always sharks in the water ready to feast on you. Borrowing money is a stupid pathway to being in debt.  Some would call me pessimistic. I prefer realistic.  Cards are a blessing or they are a curse.  You get to choose.

Not only do you have to think this way with regards to the credit card rewards, but also to any program you transfer point to  such as airlines. 

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Informative post! Will add, we do not own the rewards so as you mentioned we need to get them away from the bank and into our hands. One only needs to read the Terms and Conditions from say Citi Bank, to see they are their rewards until we cash them out. It gets even better, some banks have a "claw back" provision on rewards so it pays to read your "Rewards Terms and Conditions" as one size may not fit all.

Message 14 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I "LUV" My Credit Cards , they ARE mine ( in my Wallet) and yes AMEX loves me , the Credit Report tells me so!!Smiley Wink
Message 15 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

good post but a minor caveat, you don't always own the rewards.  see the fine print re amex lol

So true.  If the rewards are in the form of points, the bank owns them.  If the rewards are in the form of miles, the airline owns them.  But if the rewards are in the form of cash, they can be yours immediately (except when the bank imposes some silly $25 minimum redemption rule).

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.