cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Which Banks Pull Which Report For Apps" list

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

The "Which Banks Pull Which Report For Apps" list

UPDATED 8/13/19

Some banks have been using the FICO9 version instead of the FICO8. This is a YMMV situation, but gives you a general idea of which bureau would likely be pulled for an app with one of these banks. If you had DP's to share reply and I can update the matrix. This list is designed for personal card apps. 

Several other factors apply and vary by lender (inquiry/new account sensitive, income, forgiveness for bad behavior, total available credit, age of report, your state residency, etc.) -- this is just to share what they are most likely to pull based on reported data points.

CALL-OUTS:

• BB&T: Members have reported that if you check the pre-qualified link ( BB&T PreQual Link ) and get offers (sample results here CiC PreQual Offers, 3 Cards) , accepting that card does not result in a HP. If you submit a cold app fully expect a HP, but many posters have shared, along with at least 2 confirmation calls to the bank directly, that when you 'accept' an offer, it will be approved with a SP
  • Capital One: Many users have posted Cap1 success stories, but I could not find enough DP's on which versions they tend to pull. Some users have reported the FICO3 version being used so I've noted that. If you have DP's for Cap1 please reply to the thread and I'll update it accordingly. We definitely know they pull all 3 per application
  • Citi Bank: Most new apps/CLI's use EQ, but some cards (like reports from Prestige) reflect they will pull EX instead. Some members (like folks brand new to a Citi relationship) have reported double-pulls. When that happens be prepared for any combo (EQ/TU , EQ/EX, EX/TU)
  • Chase Bank: Some users have reported that double-pulls are consistent, but some have also reported only single-pulls for new account. CLI's are single pulls. Expect a double pull, EQ & EX seem to be the preferred combo (could also be EX/TU or EQ/TU), but you might squeeze by with a single-pull. TU seems to be the least preferred CRA for Chase and is considered a rarity. 
  • Comenity Bank: Traditionally known for SP SCT on new apps/CLI's. Many members are now reporting HP's for both new apps/CLI's. Depending on the card, HP's vary between EQ and EX. No reports were found where Comenity processed a double-pull or pulled TU
  • Navy FCU: Uses two bureau's depending on the transaction. New Apps = TU, CLI's = EQ 
  • Synchrony Bank: Synchrony historically has exclusively pulled TU, but a handful of reports from 2019 reflected they pulled EX 
  • Wells Fargo: EX tends to be the 'go-to' CRA for this bank. Some card types (like Propel) have been known to pull EX + EQ. Reports have been noted that if someone applied with all CRA's frozen, when the applicant called back in to move forward they'd be advised to unlock EQ only. This is an extreme YMMV case

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 2.42.57 PM.png

128 REPLIES 128
Established Contributor

Re: Banks using FICO8 vs FICO9 for Apps

@credit_is_crack wrote:

So I went on a mini-spree recently and the one thing I noticed is that more and more banks appear to have migrated to using the FICO 9 version instead of FICO 8. Just wanted to share in case anyone was curious (as I know a lot of us apply based on our best foot). This is YMMV - some folks see auto increases from F8 < F9, some see auto decreases. Not sure what's driving the divide though. I'm referring to the core FICO 8 & 9 score, not the bankcard or specialized versions.

As a sample my scores as of todays report (03/18/19):

EXPERIAN -- FICO8 (765) < FICO9 (798)

EQUIFAX -- FICO8 (764) < FICO9 (797)

TRANS UNION -- FICO8 (783) < FICO9 (800)

My "Price you pay" letter descriptions from apps over last 8-10 months. Some were for new apps, some for CLI's or mergers (Navy is known to use TU for new apps and then EQ for CLIs, I'm sure a few others do that too). 

• Bank of America, TU F8 (new app)
  • Amex, EX F8 (new app & SP CLI)
  • Citibank, EQ F8 (SP CLI)
  • Chase, EX F8 (new app)
  • USAA, EX F2 (HP CLI) - get with it USAA!
  • PNC Bank, EX F9 (new app)
  • US Bank, TU F9 (new app)
  • Synovus, EQ F9 (new app)
  • Navy FCU, EQ F9 (HP CLI)
  • PenFed FCU, EQ F9 (SP CLI)
  • FNBO, EX F9 (SP CLI)

Great information!  Thanks for sharing!

Message 2 of 129
Valued Contributor

Thx CIC

Wells Fargo uses EX09 for checking/savings.  Dunno about credit tho

3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>06/2019 CCT EX 829 TU 848 EQ 837
Thus will it come to pass. The Dying Leader will know the truth of the Opera House. The missing Three will give you the Five, who've come from the Home of the Thirteenth. You are the Harbinger of Death, Kara Thrace. You will lead them all to their End. End of line.
Message 3 of 129
Valued Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

Thx CIC

Anybody know who Wells Fargo uses for credit card apps? Could be EX09 or TU 09 but don't want to assume

Message 4 of 129
Valued Contributor

Updated to include Fifth-Third Bank

Message 5 of 129
Established Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

@Meanmchine wrote:

Thx CIC

Anybody know who Wells Fargo uses for credit card apps? Could be EX09 or TU 09 but don't want to assume

They Pulled my EX9 when they approved me Sep of  last year 2018.

BK7 dc in 01/2011 with FICO8 in the 500s

HPs EX 4 EQ 3 TU 1
AAoA 5y2m
UTIL 1% - 3%

$180K+ Total Limits

New cc TLs 1/12(11 month old) & 3/24
Message 6 of 129
New Contributor

FICO EX9. It also gives me my FICO EX9 in my account. They have been using it for several years.
FICO8 Scores:
EX: 686 – 4/1/2019
TU: 708 – 4/1/2019
EQ: 712 – 4/1/2019

FICO9 Scores:
EX: 682 – 4/1/2019
TU: 710 – 4/1/2019
EQ: 729 – 4/1/2019

Message 7 of 129
Valued Contributor

@JR_TX wrote:

@credit_is_crack wrote:

@Meanmchine wrote:

Thx CIC

They Pulled my EX9 when they approved me Sep of  last year 2018.

Thanks for the info @JR_TX and @FicoGuy2019. I added it to the list

Message 8 of 129
Established Contributor

Re: List of FICO Scores Banks Are Using For Apps/CLIs?

Awesome information for a single thread!
In my wallet• US Bank Altitude Reserve ($9k) Chase Sapphire Preferred ($17.2k), Hilton Surpass ($22.5k)
Utilities• US Bank Cash+ ($6.5k)
Others• Amex | Gold (NPSL $30k POT), Amex Bonvoy Brilliant ($10k), EDP ($1k), BCE ($1k) • BBVA Clear Points ($6k) • Capital One | QS ($850), Venture 1 ($16k) • Chase | Hyatt ($8.6k) • Citi | AA Plat Select ($6.3k), Premier ($4.1k) • Discover ($11.8k) | PenFed PCR ($1k) | Care Credit ($15k) Lowe’s ($1k)
F8 —-Current EQ•714 | TU•775 | EX•702
All scores have increased 100+ points in last year | $125k+ Unsecure TCL
Message 9 of 129
Regular Contributor

Re: List of FICO Scores Banks Are Using For Apps/CLIs?

Very helpful....thank u

Message 10 of 129
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.