tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: The secret Trigger Reports (Beware)

@GApeachy wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

EX, EQ and TU do not have a list of collections accounts that are not listed on your CR.   They only have the info that has been reported to them, and they provide that information to all different types of creditors who have a legal reason to recieve that information

So, if the collection(s) is not on your report, how is it that an "unknown" creditor has privey to your reports?  Is it because they pay for a service?

Just because they ceditor has not reported your collection account to the CRA does not mean they can't get your information.  By them owning the debt they have a legally permissable reason to have access to  your credit reports and the information on them.   So they can either soft pull your entire report to suscribe to a trigger report. 

Yeah, so if a creditor owns your debt, you should be made to know about this debt, about this creditor or they should have no rights to your reports.  We should have rights to know who we owe. We should have rights to know who we owe....always.  There should not be secretiveness, we should know who we owe.  So the CB's may not be aware of who you owe? but they will give our reports to a creditor(just any creditor not listing your debt)?  So again, we should be informed.  My goodness, we should know who we owe and who it is to.  It's like the CB's and creditors have a pay for pay relationship of some sorts.....idk, guessing here but, if it's not on your report more than likely you are unaware of this debt but yet someone has access to your reports and are working it.

I agree that if a debt is sold, you should be made aware of it such as receiving a letter from the seller. I'm gonna page @RobertEG because I'm curious of the laws regarding notifying a person.

Message 31 of 40
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

EX, EQ and TU do not have a list of collections accounts that are not listed on your CR.   They only have the info that has been reported to them, and they provide that information to all different types of creditors who have a legal reason to recieve that information

So, if the collection(s) is not on your report, how is it that an "unknown" creditor has privey to your reports?  Is it because they pay for a service?

Just because they ceditor has not reported your collection account to the CRA does not mean they can't get your information.  By them owning the debt they have a legally permissable reason to have access to  your credit reports and the information on them.   So they can either soft pull your entire report to suscribe to a trigger report. 

Yeah, so if a creditor owns your debt, you should be made to know about this debt, about this creditor or they should have no rights to your reports.  We should have rights to know who we owe. We should have rights to know who we owe....always.  There should not be secretiveness, we should know who we owe.  So the CB's may not be aware of who you owe? but they will give our reports to a creditor(just any creditor not listing your debt)?  So again, we should be informed.  My goodness, we should know who we owe and who it is to.  It's like the CB's and creditors have a pay for pay relationship of some sorts.....idk, guessing here but, if it's not on your report more than likely you are unaware of this debt but yet someone has access to your reports and are working it.

Ethically I agree 100% legally is a whole nother ball of wax.   

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 32 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel the opposite. While I know it’s completely legal, I do t think jets ethical.
My case was having debts I did t know existed come up.
As several have mentioned, we should be aware any time a debt changes hands.
Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two things. First if it was too old to be listed on the credit report, they would have no leverage to threaten putting a collection on the report to inhibit a mortgage.

Second, if they own a debt, they have a legally permissible purpose, and when they do a SP, it’s recorded and listed. It would seem to me just like we have to be notified of soft pulls, we should be notified of trigger reports to creditors or others.

It seems to me the spirit of the law would be violated. When they access our credit information it is recorded as a SP and we have access to that information, why not so for a trigger?
Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

The nine I just had to lay were not too old to appear on credit. They were all less than five years old so the statute of limitations had not run out either.
Yes, they legally can do this but it would have been nice to know about them back when they were sent to collections. I had no knowledge of these. All collections are supposed to send you the 30 day letter. That’s what happened but instead of sending that letter when they acquired the account, they waited for a trigger.
I might ha e paid it back when they had acquired the account had they informed me of its existence.
I have a very difficult time keeping up with my medical bills because their are so many. I’ve been a type one diabetic for almost 30 years and have severe complications from it. Ive also had 2 strokes and have tons of health issues for a 45 year old. Every hospital visit generates a bill from the hospital, radiology, pharmacy, individual doctors, home health and many others. I try to keep track but it’s hard.
Message 35 of 40
zerofire
Valued Contributor

While I do not like the idea of trigger reports the reality is that they will happen as a service because of this thing called money. What really grinds my gears though is when the collections agency fails to issue a proper letter and then expects to be paid. If they try to do a collections like that at me then I will intentionally go ahead and send a letter for proof of having the right to collect.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

SamWooly my first point was in response to @MakingProgress, his comment about them being too old. I figured yours were not or you would not have paid them.

Nevertheless if they have to make SP information available to us, they should have to make trigger report information available to us. I would think otherwise would violate the spirit of the law, even if not the letter.
Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bordman7,
I think we should have a right to know of every company that does any type of pull or receives information through triggers. We should know who is looking at our personal, private situation.
What they are doing is playing games. Credit in general is nothing but a game. There are those that are playing checkers and the rest of us are playing chess.
Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I feel the opposite. While I know it’s completely legal, I do t think jets ethical.

From my seat, "ethics" is a word in the dictionary and it ends there! As to credit being a game? Pinball comes to mind Smiley Mad

Message 39 of 40
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

From my seat, "ethics" is a word in the dictionary and it ends there! As to credit being a game? Pinball comes to mind Smiley Mad

More like Marco Polo....we pay for our reports, they pay for our reports.  Somebody is ducking under water.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.