cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party collecting (or something like that)

tag
Canrdboy

Third party collecting (or something like that)

Ok not sure if I am posting in the right spot (if I am not please move the post).  So here is the situation, I had credit with GE Money bank several years ago (Select Comfort Bed purchase), I defaulted on that card, it was then sold to LVNV and now I am getting a letter from Allied Intersate LLC on behalf of Resurgent Capital to collect the debt.  Now a few years ago I went through a credit class and I could have sworn they said this type of action was not legal.  Am I just losing my mind (I can't find it in the book that we were given) but this just does not seem legit to me.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in Advance.

Starting Score: 518
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Canrdboy

Re: Third party collecting (or something like that)

Oh and just to add, I was looking at my most recent reports the original debt is no longer on my credit reports so any advice on getting these people to leave me alone?

Starting Score: 518
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Third party collecting (or something like that)

If you have an unpaid debt, the owner has rights to attempt to collect the debt, and/or seek collection assitance from antoher debt collector.

There are, of course, limitations on their actions under both the federal FDCPA and any debt collection laws of your state.

A violation could possibly occur depwnding on specific actions they might take, but there is no general prohibition against one acquring a debt to attempt to colledt on the debt.

The fact that the original creditor has delted their reporting is totally seprate from, and not basis for deltion of, reporiing by the new owner of the debt, and/or their assigns.

If the debt is legit, I see no basis for asserting attempts to collect that otherwise comply with law are not legitimate.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.