Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought Debtor's Prison Was Illegal?!

tag
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

Thought Debtor's Prison Was Illegal?!

So, how is it possible that people can go to jail for months on end for not paying child support?

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thought Debtor's Prison Was Illegal?!

Failure to be financially responsible for a child is a little different than not paying off your Nordstrom shoe department spree, is it not?

Message 2 of 22
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Failing to pay child support is a violation of a court order, so the person is jailed on contempt.  Ideally judges use their discretion and reserve jail time for those cases where there is evidence of willful violation of the order, hiding money, etc.  But there are probably lots of cases where poor people, especially those without access to counsel, are jailed unfairly.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also - it's possible to go to jail for not paying your taxes. Same sort of idea, I suspect.

Message 4 of 22
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Because child support is part of a judicial order and not an unsecured obligation like credit cards or personal loans. Even secured creditors are limited to seizure of the asset that secures the loan such as a vehicle or home. Whether they can attempt to collect any remaining balance after the asset is seized and sold is a matter of individual state law.

Although I have never been involved with child support issues a portion of my misspent youth did involve interaction with the judicial system. And judges REALLY don't like it when you flaunt their orders. They call it contempt and use the remedies at their disposal to encourage you to change your ways. I know in California the first step in delinquent child support obligations includes wage garnishment and loss of professional licenses and driving privileges. It takes a while for the judge to determine the only remedy or resource left is incarceration to change your mind.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 5 of 22
chasmith
Valued Contributor

In Maryland, it's my understanding that a judge can sentence someone to six months for contempt for failing to meet a child support order.  During the jail time the party is forced to work (proceeds such as they are from ptrison work go to child support) and receive job counseling in hope they can get a job and pay support after getting out.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Because child support is part of a judicial order and not an unsecured obligation like credit cards or personal loans. Even secured creditors are limited to seizure of the asset that secures the loan such as a vehicle or home. Whether they can attempt to collect any remaining balance after the asset is seized and sold is a matter of individual state law.

Although I have never been involved with child support issues a portion of my misspent youth did involve interaction with the judicial system. And judges REALLY don't like it when you flaunt their orders. They call it contempt and use the remedies at their disposal to encourage you to change your ways. I know in California the first step in delinquent child support obligations includes wage garnishment and loss of professional licenses and driving privileges. It takes a while for the judge to determine the only remedy or resource left is incarceration to change your mind.

I have lots of involvement in family court, both as payee and payor of CS. Long-term jail time isn't something judges look to do, because then it takes people away from jobs - very counterproductive. In most cases you have to make a whole bunch of bad decisions to end up in jail. It's not a first-response kind of thing.

Message 7 of 22
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Simply having debt has not been a crime for a long, long time in the U.S.  No debtors' prisons.

However, failing to meet a court order for specified terms of its payment is a separate legal issue.

Message 8 of 22
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

I hate to bring this back up, but it seems, that child support is a criminal offense(Felony), in one of the states I lived in; not just a civil offense(Contempt)..

http://www.state.tn.us/tccy/tnchild/39/39-15-101.htm

The above code, is slightly worded funny, have to commit it twice, before found guilty of it?!

But, it seems prosecutors pursue the contempt option for reasons:

1) You can question the defendant (no 5th amendment right to avoid self-incrimination);
2) Proof by preponderance of the evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt,
3) No statute of limitations other than the general 10 year statute.

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused as to what your question was.

"Child support is not a criminal offense" makes no sense, so I'm not sure what  you mean. Failure to pay child support can be considered akin to neglect, as well as get someone in trouble for failure to follow a court order.

I'm not following your last paragraph, either.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.