cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Warner Cable did inquiry without asking? Is this legal?

tag
Red22
Contributor

Time Warner Cable did inquiry without asking? Is this legal?

I called Time Warner Cable to inquire about re-establishing with their company after 6 months of non-service.  I just wanted to know the type of service and the cost as compared to a competitor(AT &T uverse).  The customer service person gave me an outrageous price for reinstatement of service.  He said I would not be considered as a new customer because I have had the service before.  Well all I wanted was price quotes.  Well I get a credit alert today that says Time Warner Cable did an inquiry on my EQ. I have never had an inquiry from Time Warner in the past.

My question is :  Is this a legal Inquiry on my credit report?

Crawling At A Snails Pace . . .
*9/01/08 FICO; EQ:524 TU:532 FAKO;EX:536
*12/07/08 FICO; EQ:548 TU: 562 FAKO;EX:565
**03/10/09 FICO;EQ: 624 TU:563 FAKO;EX:585
**09/21/10 FICO;EQ:661 TU:679EX:663(FAKO)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
joeh05
Contributor

Re: Time Warner Cable did inquiry without asking? Is this legal?

Not if the rep didn't advise you of them doing the pull. I am in the insurance business where credit is a big factor and I have to get consent from anyone and everyone who I give a quote to. If I do not the screen that tells me that I must ask for this consent also states that if I do this unknowingly or without consent that I can be punished by fines, jail time, ect......
Young and Dumb!!!!!!
04-5-2009 EQ - 491TU - 522
04/09/2009 EQ - 501 TU - 522
05/03/2009 EQ - 503 TU - 522
09/23/2009 EQ - 522 TU - 563
03/09/2011 EQ - 604 TU -608
Any advice for a 22year old trying to repair and stay there is welcome!!!!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

They must ask for an OK to pull your CR and only if you ask for service.

Mail this letter to them CMRRR

Non-PP Puller Company
Address
City State Zip Code
To Whom It May Concern:
I have noticed that you have placed an inquiry on my _________ credit file dated ________. As you probably know, Credit Reporting Agencies treat inquiries as a statement of fact and will not allow a consumer to dispute them. Since it is against federal law (Fair Credit Reporting Act -- 15 USC § 1681n(a)(1)(B) for an entity to view a consumer’s credit report without a "permissible purpose," I am writing to inquire as to your alleged purpose for doing so since I did not apply for employment with your organization nor did I request credit from your organization.
[Describe any additional details about the inquiry here if need be. For example, your a subscriber to XXXX monitoring service and XXXX company pulled a "hard inquiry" on one of your reports.]
Based on the evidence in my possession, this inquiry was performed under false pretenses as described in the clear language of the law. 15 USC §1681n(a)(1)(B ) states, in part, "in the case of liability of a natural person for obtaining a consumer report under false pretenses or knowingly without a permissible purpose, actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or $1,000, whichever is greater;"
You are civilly liable to me in the amount of $1,000.00 for your willful violation of the law -- performing a "hard inquiry" on my __________ file without my permission. I do hope that we can settle this matter amicably. You can remove the inquiry within one (1) business day of the receipt of this notice. Or, we can meet in court where you will end up removing the inquiry, paying me the civil liability fine, punitive damages for my score drop, plus court and attorney fees. The choice is up to you.
Please contact me immediately at the address listed below.
Sincerely,
Consumer
Address
City State Zip Code
Message 3 of 4
Red22
Contributor

Thanks.  I will definately use this letter to dispute.  I did make a second call to TWC to get more information about why they did a credit check and never have done one in the past.  They told me that this is a new policy for new customers!  Long story short. . .  I need to send this letter.  Again thanks a lot.
Crawling At A Snails Pace . . .
*9/01/08 FICO; EQ:524 TU:532 FAKO;EX:536
*12/07/08 FICO; EQ:548 TU: 562 FAKO;EX:565
**03/10/09 FICO;EQ: 624 TU:563 FAKO;EX:585
**09/21/10 FICO;EQ:661 TU:679EX:663(FAKO)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.