Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many accounts with balance

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Too many accounts with balance

I have 5 open accounts. 2 Sallie Mae loans, 1 car note and 2 credit cards. If both cards report zero balance I'll take score hit so I'll have to keep balance on one (below 9%). So that gives me 4 accounts with balance.

Do I need to open 3 accounts and keep them at zero balance to avoid hit for too many accounts with balance? If so, is it worth opening 3 new lines?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Too many accounts with balance

Percent accounts with balances is only one segment of util, which also includes overall and individual revolving and installment util.

Its exact weighting is unknown, but probably not huge.

New accounts to increase the denominator of the % with balance calculation will bring their own initial baggage, with inquiries, new accounts, and lowered AAoA.

I would not add new accts simply for that reason, as you already have a good mix of credit, unless you need them for other reasons, such as increased flexibility.

Message 2 of 3
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Too many accounts with balance

When I got hit with the ding from it last week I went from 685 to 667 so a 18 pt lost at least. (I had removed an old CO account and 18 pt loss was the net pt change). My TU score was probably about 20-30 PTA lost from this.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.