Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many inquries?

tag
OniStringer
Regular Contributor

Too many inquries?

Does having too many inquiries truly hurt chances of credit for the entire 2 year span? Or do they become less meaningful if your score is increased and other things are in order?

Started with LOW 500s - Actively rebuilding as of early 2019
//
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
citymunky
Established Contributor

Re: Too many inquries?

From what I understand, they stop having an effect on your FICO score after a year. However, they do remain on your report for 2 years. 

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper (Jul21-Jul 2022), Sable {Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum (Jul21-Aug23)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 2 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Depends on who you are trying to bank with really when applying for credit cards and your credit profile, or as we say around here YMMV. Some banks are inquiry sensitive and won't even entertain approvals as long as you're within their tight rules. Citi is one that comes to mind with their 3/6 inquiry rule regarding approving apps/CLIs; have more than three inquiries in a six month span is a hardline they won't budge on. Then you have other banks that don't really care as long as your credit scores/profile is strong. Each bank is going to institute their own algorithms on how they determine what kind of customers they want

Best you can do is limit the inquiries and/or accept that if a person is going to be app-happy that some speed bumps are going to happen

Message 3 of 8
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

@citymunky wrote:

From what I understand, they stop having an effect on your FICO score after a year. However, they do remain on your report for 2 years. 

I though in the past I have seen my score bounce up a couple points when an inquiry drops off? It could have been from something else but I always thought they were a couple points each?

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $38,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000 /

SOCKDRAWERED FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ WELLS FARGO ACTIVE CASH $8200/ CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER $3000 SL/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700
Message 4 of 8
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@EAT_SLEEP_JEEP wrote:

@citymunky wrote:

I though in the past I have seen my score bounce up a couple points when an inquiry drops off? It could have been from something else but I always thought they were a couple points each?

I haven't noticed a FICO score bump when any given inquiry drops off after two, but I have noticed a bump when said inquiry ages to 13 months.  Then there are my Vantage/FAKO scores, they do seem to hop up a bit after an inquiry drops off at 25 months.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@EAT_SLEEP_JEEP wrote:

@citymunky wrote:

Probably due to something else, as inquiries stop counting towards your score after a year as someone mentioned above. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@OniStringer wrote:

Does having too many inquiries truly hurt chances of credit for the entire 2 year span? Or do they become less meaningful if your score is increased and other things are in order?

After 1 year they no longer affect your FICO scores, but your "chances of credit" can still be affected because they still appear in your report for another year and are not loved by lenders, who sometimes have their own internal scoring systems and who sometimes manually review applications.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 8
OniStringer
Regular Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Depends on who you are trying to bank with really when applying for credit cards and your credit profile, or as we say around here YMMV. Some banks are inquiry sensitive and won't even entertain approvals as long as you're within their tight rules. Citi is one that comes to mind with their 3/6 inquiry rule regarding approving apps/CLIs; have more than three inquiries in a six month span is a hardline they won't budge on. Then you have other banks that don't really care as long as your credit scores/profile is strong. Each bank is going to institute their own algorithms on how they determine what kind of customers they want

Best you can do is limit the inquiries and/or accept that if a person is going to be app-happy that some speed bumps are going to happen

Appreciate the input a lot!

Started with LOW 500s - Actively rebuilding as of early 2019
//
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.