@Revelate wrote:

. whenever we have a downturn I'm expecting to get half of them whacked

I've thought about that too.  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 21 of 54
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Total Credit Limit versus Income ?

If ratio's even mattered, I would imagine income would play into that as well.

Message 22 of 54
Gmood1
Super Contributor

No need to CLD yourself. If those lenders want to pull back on exposure, they'll do it.
You may be over thinking it a bit.
I'm no Big Bank Hank either. lol
As long as you don't have a lot of new apps close to the refinance, you shouldn't have any issues.
If you were talking auto loan refinance.
Then it doesn't matter at all.

Keep enough lenders in your back pocket, so that you have options.
If I haven't learned anything else from the credit game. It's never depend on a single lender as though your life depended on it. There are way too many out there that want your business, to do that.

Message 23 of 54
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
No need to CLD yourself. If those lenders want to pull back on exposure, they'll do it.  I changed that stmt.  I didn't mean for it to sound that way.

Keep enough lenders in your back pocket, so that you have options.
If I haven't learned anything else from the credit game. It's never depend on a single lender as though your life depended on it. There are way too many out there that want your business, to do that.  Agreed!
Message 24 of 54
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

. whenever we have a downturn I'm expecting to get half of them whacked

I've thought about that too.  

I've only seen this sentiment on this forum and frankly it suggests that people suspect they have outsized credit not supported by their spend or income and that it's just a house of cards.  Kind of a weird way to live, having the sword of Damocles hovering above (mixed metaphor) yet continuing to seek ever more credit (not @Revelate per se, but others), but I guess to each his own.

@GApeachy, I don't believe cutting credit limits of people who have not shown any financial distress is standard operating procedure for banks.  Maintain your payment pattern (i.e. keep paying in full if you've always paid in full).  You can lower your spend, which is a prudent thing to do, but always maintain your payment pattern. 

During the height of the great recession and apparent credit tightening, in the middle of a cross-country move, I forgot to pay my credit card.  One day past the due date, I called Chase to pay my over $20k balance in full.  Not only did Chase not cut my limit, but the rep waived the late fee and accrued interest.  So I think as long as you've not shown any signs of being financially stretched across all your accounts, the banks will ignore you and let you be.

Message 25 of 54
GApeachy
Super Contributor

• @tacpoly wrote:

I've only seen this sentiment on this forum and frankly it suggests that people suspect they have outsized credit not supported by their spend or income and that it's just a house of cards.   

• I have read articles suggesting banks may do this to prevent the catastrophy from the last time. That's not the reason for this thread.  But....I have read articles and seen on tv to expect cld's by banks as a safeguard.  But no, there's no outsize or unsupported anything that gives pause.  All I want is optimization if there is any requarding preparation for refi.  Through search here found the thread about Ratio...thought hmmmmm. That's all.  My spend is always under 6% so that part is good.

Message 26 of 54
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Forwarned is forearmed is my thinking Tacpoly.

I have seen others over the years have lender swipe their limits or accounts even in today’s loose UW world. Notable example was Cap 1 which pared back a bunch of limits at 25k and higher anecdotally.

I had done a strategic CLD to 10K on my own Cap 1 tradeline and didn’t get touched.

There are algorithms which go hunting for various consumers that are either risky or probably unprofitable. It has been years since I needed more than 10K on even a default spender in any given month, and as a result that is a tradeline that not only works for me but isn’t outsized.

I have too many accounts for my use case, I can’t argue that at all. Chase is unlikely to screw with me as they know I can go right across the street to BOFA and I am in both of their new target demographics... but when it comes to tradelines that are unlikely to get taken away short of a BK Cap 1 rates highly there and playing needle in the haystack is a good defensive strategy in my opinion.

Attempting to channel the credit force vs the evil algorithms: I am not the consumer you are looking for.

        
Message 27 of 54
Kforce
Valued Contributor

My total CL is < 50% of income ( I believe it is plenty) .    Smiley LOL 

(Income / 2) / # of cards = Per Card CL

(0.4: 1)   -- Just to balance the other posters

Message 28 of 54
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

My total CL is < 50% of income ( I believe it is plenty) .    Smiley LOL 

(Income / 2) / # of cards = Per Card CL

(0.4: 1)   -- Just to balance the other posters

Cover your eyes youngin'sSmiley Mad.....a four letter word is coming. Smiley Surprised  ((((( M A T H )))))) Smiley LOL

Message 29 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely impressed with the member seven times their income. I remember reading in another thread someone who had six times his income I wonder what the largest is.
Message 30 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.