So I've been locked out of the online dispute form on TransUnion and after a few calls a few months ago I gave up. Today I had the day off and took them on. I spoke to 4 different people before getting to special escalation person who within 15 seconds knew what it was and said would be fixed in 5 biz days. Somehow a code 219 popped up with a duplicate bureau report so they have to merge them. Who knew? Will report back when fixed. Lol
Op I recall having this happen with me a few years back too, and it was like I got locked out as well. But then, it seemed to work again a few weeks later. I'm still not sure what happened. A lot of times calling them directly (if you get the right person) is so much easier, as you just found out.
So this turned out negative on my end. Got an alert saying something was added to my TransUnion report on Friday. Turns out it was a $2800 collection from 2013 via cashcall/loanme that I forgot about. If I left it alone it would've stayed off but now that I've poked the bear so to speak it's on there. Kinda pissed as I won't pay that and just let it drop off in 2020ish. Oh well. Still can't dispute anything on the site as the 5 business days don't finish till Wednesday. Ugh