Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer marcus loan to a credit card?

tag
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Transfer marcus loan to a credit card?

How can I transfer a marcus installment loan to a credit card? 

Usually with these 0% apr cards you have to give them the number of the credit card you wantr to transfer the balance from. But this is an installment loan so can I just apply for a card and pay off the marcus loan with that card? Or does it have to be a literal "transfer" to use the 0% apr.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Transfer marcus loan to a credit card?

I used a Barclays new card 15 month 0% offer to payoff a Prosper loan a couple years ago. The BT form had a line for the account # and mailing address and from the time it took I'm pretty sure they mailed them a check. For a CC payoff in a BT I'm pretty sure they transfer the funds electronically. It worked out pretty well, I was 1 year into a 3 year loan, with the 0% BT I was able to pay it off within the 15 months and saved a bunch of interest.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Transfer marcus loan to a credit card?

Check the terms and conditions of the reduced/zero APR period for balance transfers to determine what other debts do or do not qualify for the BT offer.  It varies.  

Most creditors, for example, wont permit a BT for any account that is with them (the same creditor or their affiliate).

They might also exclude certain types of debts.

Some BT offers simply send you a courtesy check, letting you determine how it is applied, thus removing the creditor from any issues of how the money can be used.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.