Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion Credit Karma Score Drops of 44 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion Credit Karma Score Drops of 44 points

I recently opened a considerable number of new credit card.  Today 1 inquiry and 4 accounts hit my Transunion report and it dropped 44 points.  Is this common?  How long does it take to rebound.  Only other thing that showed was around $300 in balances total on several cards.  Utilization is under 10% over all. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Transunion Credit Karma Score Drops of 44 points

VantageScore 3.0 does punish score for opening "too many" revolving credit accounts in a short period of time. How many is too many? I'd say 3 or more. What is a short period of time? Certainly 30 days, perhaps 45 days.

VantageScore graphs indicate negative impact of new accounts (excluding inquiries and AAoA) should disappear in 90 days.I'd estimate 24 to 29 points of your total drop were "too many new accounts" related. The remaining 15 to 20 points may require more time to recover as AAoA takes a while to build and VS3 looks at inquiries for 2 years.

Best to view the above score drop breakdown as a guestimate - coiuld be off considerably.

Note: Impact on score associated with "too many accounts opened recently" is dependent on how many open accounts you had before. If you had one or 2 impact will be more severe relative to someone who had 6 to 10 cards open. It does not appear that closed CC accounts or file thickness buffer the impact.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma and "FICO" scoring can't be used in the same sentence.

Message 3 of 11
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit Karma and "FICO" scoring can't be used in the same sentence.

I think you just did - and the 1st poster to do so in this thread. Smiley LOL

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

These things happen.

Message 5 of 11
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

VantageScore 3.0 does punish score for opening "too many" revolving credit accounts in a short period of time. How many is too many? I'd say 3 or more. What is a short period of time? Certainly 30 days, perhaps 45 days.

VantageScore graphs indicate negative impact of new accounts (excluding inquiries and AAoA) should disappear in 90 days.I'd estimate 24 to 29 points of your total drop were "too many new accounts" related. The remaining 15 to 20 points may require more time to recover as AAoA takes a while to build and VS3 looks at inquiries for 2 years.

Best to view the above score drop breakdown as a guestimate - coiuld be off considerably.

Note: Impact on score associated with "too many accounts opened recently" is dependent on how many open accounts you had before. If you had one or 2 impact will be more severe relative to someone who had 6 to 10 cards open. It does not appear that closed CC accounts or file thickness buffer the impact.

This is great information! Thanks!

I noticed my friend's Vantage 3.0 score dropped when they paid down debt and brought their utilization from around 70 plus % to 8%. Why did this happen?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The score wouldn't have dropped due to cutting utilization from 70% to 8%.  If it dropped, it dropped due to another factor outside of utilization.

Message 7 of 11
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The score wouldn't have dropped due to cutting utilization from 70% to 8%.  If it dropped, it dropped due to another factor outside of utilization.

We looked at the credit report in detail and the only change was the decrease in utiliztion.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then it's a fluke.  It's literally impossible for a drop in utilization to result in a lower score, unless that drop is to 0% aggregate utilization which was not the case in your example.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hum, AAofA could definitely be a factor. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.