Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion credit score is 35+ points lower than Experian and Equifax scores

tag
boelshine
Established Member

Transunion credit score is 35+ points lower than Experian and Equifax scores

I've reviewed my credit reports from all 3 bureaus and they contain identical information, except my Transunion report has 4 hard inquiries within the past year.

My Experian credit report has 2 hard inquires within the past year and my Equifax report has 1 hard inquiry within the past year. Why is my Transunion score 35+ points lower than my other scores and is there a way to dispute the score calculation? (I have 6 additional hard inquiries on my Transunion report that are 1-2 years old and I think those might be affecting my score, even though they are over 1 year old).

Transunion: 676

Equifax: 711

Experian: 715

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Transunion credit score is 35+ points lower than Experian and Equifax scores

Where are you getting your scores from and are you certain they are FICO scores and not Vantage?

Unfortunately, you cannot dispute the "calculation method" used to create your score. 

If you've truly looked over everything and no other outstanding items vary (including baddies and utilization %) then it would fall to those INQ's

Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Transunion credit score is 35+ points lower than Experian and Equifax scores

@boelshine wrote:

I've reviewed my credit reports from all 3 bureaus and they contain identical information, except my Transunion report has 4 hard inquiries within the past year.

My Experian credit report has 2 hard inquires within the past year and my Equifax report has 1 hard inquiry within the past year. Why is my Transunion score 35+ points lower than my other scores and is there a way to dispute the score calculation? (I have 6 additional hard inquiries on my Transunion report that are 1-2 years old and I think those might be affecting my score, even though they are over 1 year old).

Having 2 additional inquiries would not account for 35 points. It must be something else.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 7
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Also, TU provides a Vantage 3.0 score.

Are you comparing apples to apples?

Message 4 of 7
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@boelshine wrote:

Hi @boelshine , I experience something similar with my Transunion score. It took me awhile to figure out the issue...my oldest (closed) account reporting to all three bureaus had unfortunately dropped off. Now there is an ~9-10yr difference between oldest account reporting to Experian and Equifax vs Transunion. Something else I've noted over time, credit unions are sometimes captured/reported differently. For example, when I tried AZEO with a balance only on a navy federal account, I was dinged for no cards reporting.

Also, with my profile, TU seems to like no more than four accounts reporting balances. Lately I've had 8-9 accounts reporting so that also knocks off a few points even with <1% utilization. Thank goodness I no longer need worry about scores, it can be stressful. Hopefully with careful review you will be able to figure out what's going on.

[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 5 of 7
Eric958
Established Contributor

^^^^That^^^^ Experienced that issue as well.

Never Give Up!!
Message 6 of 7
DONZI
Established Contributor

The CRA each calculate their scores uniquely so they do tend to move differently for different things.

in 2020 TU was ~40 lower than my EQ and ~30 lower than my EX..

Since then TU has been the laggard of the three most of the time.

Fast forward to this month.. TU has been above my EX twice and ~10 lower than my EQ.

Unless you see some problem in the reports, probably best to just ignore it. It's about like watching the stock market.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.