cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True victim of Identity Theft!! Help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: True victim of Identity Theft!! Help!!

Sorry this has happened to you, but I've read both your posts and as others have stated, you need to file a police report if you want to dispute this matter with Discover. Otherwise, you'll have to pay. Not sure what other advice anyone here could give than what's already been said. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

Message 11 of 14
Trudy
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry you had this experience and for the pain that it has caused you.  I can't provide any other options to resolve this situation other than to file a report as others have stated.  By doing so you can't hurt him but can help yourself. 

I'm not sure how other creditors were able to resolve the situation for you as filing a report is usually the only way to resolve identity theft.  Whatever the other creditors did or said may have created a belief that there really is another way which is understandable ...if they really did absolve you of the responsibility.  Are you sure that's what they did and whatever action taken did not negatively impacted your credit?  They may have been pleasant through the situation but are you sure these are not or will not show up as charge offs?  Are those accounts still open?  Were the negative marks with the others removed from your credit report?

People lie, therefore creditors can't simply rely on the word of someone as proofSmiley Sad

Wish you the best.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@James Because I allowed my nephew to stay with me while helping him to get his life together, it's my fault. Because I started him going to church and turning his life around make me somehow complicit? Ok. Thank you for your advice. I will file the police report.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the advise. The reason that I did not file the police report was because I was told to file an identity theft report with the FTC. I was told that a police report wouldnt do anything. I will file in the morning. Thank you again.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.