Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Understand the Give Cards a Lot of Use to Set up for CLI AND do AZEO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. I have the CC's I want for awhile. I might add one or 3 more relevant store cards in 3-4 months or something. Right now, I'm set. 

I'm still in my first 12-24 months of rebuilding my credit. Which means I'm after two things simultaneously:

1. Getting to 675 all across then 700 all across soon/asap. (As soon as possible without that being a dire rush of 😱 omg I need that score right now. Just sooner nicer.) 

2 Giving my cards (not OpenSky my starter buffer card which I'm now leaning towards keeping a bit longer to bolster my AAoA and enforce some savings) enough USE to garner CLI's and 3 conversions/graduations. 

I'm less concerned for NFCU nRewards b/c my CL is $1500 and I have a monthly $1K thing always going through. 

The Cards:

Discover It: Secured at $500. I want it to grad to $2-3K. I'm in the second month of having it and am settling into using it to a few hundred or more monthly. 

TargetRED: I understand if you use it well, they are more likely to grant their CLI's. 

My 2 Cap1's. Platinum Secured and small WM. I'm giving them a little use now, the secured used to get the $1K charge. Now to NFCU. I PIF. Pretty much always have. Do I need to put through a least a few hundred til it graduates so it DOES graduate 👩🏼‍🎓? No rewards on it, so very little incentive to do so beyond desiring graduation 🧑🏼‍🎓. 

⚖️ ⚖️⚖️⚖️⚖️⚖️⚖️⚖️

AZEO Benefit:

I'm kindah doing this/aiming for this also so I keep my spending and credit use in check. Without declaring bankruptcy, I have bungled it two major times earlier in my life. So much so that I simply used debit cards 💳 only for years. (Yes, 10 years when I could have simply carried a small $300 CL Secured Card... 😭 I didn't know. Only found this forum in Jan/Feb) 

I want the AZEO Benefit. But for Discover and Cap1 to graduate 👨🏾‍🎓, do I need to leave a wee $10, $25  balance on it when it cuts each month til graduation 👩🏻‍🎓, please?

Thoughts? Ruminations? 

Thank you for assisting my re education. 🙏🏻

14 REPLIES 14
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to Understand the Give Cards a Lot of Use to Set up for CLI AND do AZEO

Azeo is used to see where your scores are with optimized utilization.

(Make you look good)

Used when seeking new credit. (car, mortgage or CC)

Shows your highest scores

Use cards and let use show lets other lenders see your spend on all your cards and how good you are at paying you bills.  Some believe this leads to better starting limits and  shows how you will use whatever new card you are going for.  This lets your normal monthly utilization report but lowers Fico scores.

The problem is Azeo & showing your real use are opposed as far as utilization.

Can't show all your use and also optimize your scores.

* Each issuer sees you spend on there card with out it reporting. *

Some believe high spend leads to better CL increases.

I am not a believer, I think it is more related to issuer, profile and time than spend.

I would recommend using your cards for best rewards and benefits and not modify spend trying to convince a lender you need a higher CL.

Message 2 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Trying to Understand the Give Cards a Lot of Use to Set up for CLI AND do AZEO

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok. I have the CC's I want for awhile. I might add one or 3 more relevant store cards in 3-4 months or something. Right now, I'm set. 

I'm still in my first 12-24 months of rebuilding my credit. Which means I'm after two things simultaneously:

1. Getting to 675 all across then 700 all across soon/asap. (As soon as possible without that being a dire rush of 😱 omg I need that score right now. Just sooner nicer.) 

2 Giving my cards (not OpenSky my starter buffer card which I'm now leaning towards keeping a bit longer to bolster my AAoA and enforce some savings) enough USE to garner CLI's and 3 conversions/graduations. 

I'm less concerned for NFCU nRewards b/c my CL is $1500 and I have a monthly $1K thing always going through. 

The Cards:

Discover It: Secured at $500. I want it to grad to $2-3K. I'm in the second month of having it and am settling into using it to a few hundred or more monthly. 

TargetRED: I understand if you use it well, they are more likely to grant their CLI's. 

My 2 Cap1's. Platinum Secured and small WM. I'm giving them a little use now, the secured used to get the $1K charge. Now to NFCU. I PIF. Pretty much always have. Do I need to put through a least a few hundred til it graduates so it DOES graduate 👩🏼‍🎓? No rewards on it, so very little incentive to do so beyond desiring graduation 🧑🏼‍🎓. 

⚖️ ⚖️⚖️⚖️⚖️⚖️⚖️⚖️

AZEO Benefit:

I'm kindah doing this/aiming for this also so I keep my spending and credit use in check. Without declaring bankruptcy, I have bungled it two major times earlier in my life. So much so that I simply used debit cards 💳 only for years. (Yes, 10 years when I could have simply carried a small $300 CL Secured Card... 😭 I didn't know. Only found this forum in Jan/Feb) 

I want the AZEO Benefit. But for Discover and Cap1 to graduate 👨🏾‍🎓, do I need to leave a wee $10, $25  balance on it when it cuts each month til graduation 👩🏻‍🎓, please?

Thoughts? Ruminations? 

Thank you for assisting my re education. 🙏🏻

I think you're trying to do too many things at once.

I agree with @Kforce that you should not be using spend to try to impress your lenders so that they will give you a CLI. That is a very low percentage game.

IMHO you should be concentrating on using your cards as little as possible, and reporting balances as low as possible, with as many zero balances reporting as possible. Except letting at least one card report a small balance each month before you pay it off.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well, all creditors will see the use of their respective cards, but if you do AZEO, they won't know how you use your other cards.

Trying to get Capital One to graduate will be difficult. They only recently started doing it again, and no one really knows how to best improve your odds. High usage may or may not help. Also, getting a CLI is near impossible on ANY Capital One "starter" card such as the secured or Platinum. They're usually bucketed and give little to no CLIs.

Discover won't give a CLI until the account is at least 1 year old.

AZEO is really for optimizing scores in preparation for an upcoming credit application. Doing it all the time can become tedious and frustrating. But of course, it's your prerogative if you choose to do so.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Well, all creditors will see the use of their respective cards, but if you do AZEO, they won't know how you use your other cards.

Trying to get Capital One to graduate will be difficult. They only recently started doing it again, and no one really knows how to best improve your odds. High usage may or may not help. Also, getting a CLI is near impossible on ANY Capital One "starter" card such as the secured or Platinum. They're usually bucketed and give little to no CLIs.

AZEO is really for optimizing scores in preparation for an upcoming credit application. Doing it all the time can become tedious and frustrating. But of course, it's your prerogative if you choose to do so.

Thank to each and all of you. @SouthJamaica  @Kforce This really helped. @OmarGB9 you wrote that Discover doesn't give a CLI until 1 year. For some reason, I thought they considered graduation sooner than that and at graduation, with good behavior, they graduated to some decent maybe $2K CL.... yes, no, not really? Mythological  🦄 ? 

Message 5 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Thank to each and all of you. @SouthJamaica  @Kforce This really helped. @OmarGB9 you wrote that Discover doesn't give a CLI until 1 year. For some reason, I thought they considered graduation sooner than that and at graduation, with good behavior, they graduated to some decent maybe $2K CL.... yes, no, not really? Mythological  🦄 ? 

During the past 5 years, Discover has been all over the place on CLI's. Nobody knows what their policy is at any given  moment, and it's questionable whether they even have a policy. 

The only patterns I can discern are:  (a) 5-6 years ago they were giving out a lot of CLI's, but then they stopped, and (b) during the past year they have been tougher on CLI's.

But even in more generous times, no one could figure them out. Some thought the key was to use the card a lot; some thought the key was to not use the card; some thought the key was to use the card just a little. Some, like myself, thought Discover's CLI's were determined in a room full of monkeys with keyboards.

As to its policy on graduating secured cards, I have no experience in that area but the consensus seems to be that they are pretty reasonable about that.

Message 6 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Graduation, yes, is considered starting at 7 months. Usually people get a CLI at graduation, but not always. And it's not always bumped up to $2k. I believe I recently saw someone get a Disco graduation and only get a $100 or $200 CLI from their initial $500 secured.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 15
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Anonymous  Just to add a little something from the Disco lady's mouth:

Starting at 8 months, we do automatic reviews to see if we can transition you to an account with no security deposit. 

If you qualify, we will let you know and will return your security deposit back by mail within 5-7 business days. You keep the same card, account number, rewards and benefits.

If you don't qualify, we will continue to conduct automatic monthly reviews to see if we can transition you to an account with no security deposit.There is nothing you need to do except continue to use your credit card and all other loans responsibly.

You may or may not get a cli with graduation. The yearly wait seems to be prominent. When my Disco (unsecured) hit one year two months they doubled my cl from 1000 to 2000 automatically.

My CapOne secured is hitting 3 years 3 months and no matter how I have done the account I'm still waiting. My quicksiver after 30 months received a nice auto. Fom 750 to 3750 (2 previous cli requests had been denied).

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a $5,000 SP CLI on a Discover It card after my 12th statement issued. I have not updated my income/rent from my self-imposed low start-up salary a few years ago. Things are wicked different these days, and I'll be doing the 4506-T dance with all lenders shortly.

Average spend was $900 a month, but I always paid it down so 9% would report. Then pay to $0 right after statement and ramp up to $900 again.

After doing similar with all of my cards over my entire limited 2yrs5mos lifetime revolving credit history, going from a starting TCL of $8500 on 2 cards to $41,500 on 4 cards today (all SP CLIs too), I am a firm believer in showing modest usage on several cards each month.

I didn't even do AZEO when I applied for my AMEX BCE, showing 2-of-2 reporting 9% util each with 9% aggregate and got $11,500 starting with them. But definitely do AZEO during a mortgage/loan app.

Then again, praying in the direction of the monkeys that SouthJamaica mentioned might also work equally well.

Message 9 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Then again, praying in the direction of the monkeys that SouthJamaica mentioned might also work equally well.

I don't think so. I think the monkeys are agnostic.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.