Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a $0 balance on credit card

tag
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

Trying to get a $0 balance on credit card

Ugh, if you're paying off a balance because of a big purchase, don't forget interest! I asked the payment needed to be sure it reported $0, I even paid extra, and it still reported a balance!! Beyond pissed off, but they took care of the remaining balance and said I could call back and they would force the $0 balance to report. Have you heard of that? Forcing a new statement to be reported to the credit bureaus? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to get a $0 balance on credit card

Some issuers will report off cycle if you ask them. Even if they don't it's just temporary and when they report next month it will be 0 assuming you don't let anything post on the statement date.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myscorerocks wrote:

Have you heard of that? Forcing a new statement to be reported to the credit bureaus? 

Yup, it's known as reporting off-cycle.  A few CCCs like Discover will do this any time you wish with a quick 30 second phone call, where others like Wells Fargo/Citi won't, even if they screw something up.  Overall it's probably about 50/50 and it sounds like you have a lender that's willing to do it, which is nice.

Message 3 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@myscorerocks wrote:

Forcing a new statement to be reported to the credit bureaus? 

There won't be a new statement. There'll simply be an updated balance reported.

Message 4 of 7
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for the info! And, it's Synchrony! I wonder if it's because they gave me bad information or because I asked?

Message 5 of 7
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

Of course, I understand this is temporary, but when you're waiting for things to report to make a large purchase, it's very inconvenient to wait a month. Especially when you're planning ahead and paying off the balance deliberately to increase your score.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most credit card have a 30 day grace period on interest for new purchases.  I won't touch a card that doesn't partially for this reason.  Something to consider when your selecting cards going forward.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.