cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber visa card - citizen or permanent resident only?

tag
GTT
Regular Contributor

Uber visa card - citizen or permanent resident only?

Hi, 

I'm a H1B holder and the new uber card seems interesting but I'm not sure is this only for PR or citizens only?

There is a fine print: 

By pressing APPLY I certify that:

1. I am at least 18 years old and a permanent resident of the United States

So here it mentions only PR but not citizens so I'm not sure whether the PR here is just a geneal term or it's a term from immigration perspective. 

Any body has experiene with that?

PS: I was ejected once by Wells Fargo for not being a PR Smiley Sad 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: Uber visa card - citizen or permanent resident only?

I would say that the minimum requirement for them to give you that card is for you to be a PR, I do not think you current visa would qualify.
I would call them and get clarification to be sure.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It appears the term refers to people who are US citizens or have a US green card. If you don't fit in these categories and certify you are a permanent resident, it's possible to get the application approved if you meet their credit criteria otherwise, but be advised you may be technically lying on the application and this can get you in trouble either with the record Barclays has on you or your immigration status.

I'd suggest staying away from Barclays and Wells Fargo credit cards while you haven't got a US green card yet. Note this is only my personal advice.

Message 3 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It appears the term refers to people who are US citizens or have a US green card. If you don't fit in these categories and certify you are a permanent resident, it's possible to get the application approved if you meet their credit criteria otherwise, but be advised you may be technically lying on the application and this can get you in trouble either with the record Barclays has on you or your immigration status.

I'd suggest staying away from Barclays and Wells Fargo credit cards while you haven't got a US green card yet. Note this is only my personal advice.

I agree.   I think the risk is pretty small but IMO, it's no SO amazing a card to be worth the risk  (for a 90% cashback card, I probably would!)

Some banks are more friendly, when I was an H1, I got a card from Bank of America and it looks like they still allow that (just not online)

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

false claim of citizenship is only a trouble for immigration status if its for the purpose of getting a benefit under INA or federal/state law.

not to mention, there is no penalty for false claiming "permanent resident" status.

OP may remotely get into trouble with Barclay, but not with US gov.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The phrase "permanent resident" appears in this context to mean "having a continuous presence" in the U.S.  In other words, you are not just a tourist or visitor in the U.S. for a short period.  Several card companies issue credit cards to international students who are not permanent residents but obviously have a continuous presence in the U.S. for the purpose of studying.  Its just likely that Barclays and Well Fargo are two of the issuers who don't.

Were you rejected by Wells Fargo for not being a permanent resident or was it because you didn't have a social security number?

Most credit card issuers require you to have either a social security or ITIN number.  Presumably since you're authorized to work in the US (H1B) you also have an SS number?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Misrepresenting your citizenship status on an application is fraud.  Though it is unlikely that Barclay's would pursue it, the opportunity exists for them to do so.  And if they did, that would absolutely impact your status and ability to stay in the United States.  Do not commit application fraud.  This only means that you can't apply online.  Call Barclay's and apply over the phone.  If they accept H1B applicants they'll likely have a couple of extra questions specific to that status (such as when does your current status expire, etc).

Just call them...don't risk it.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sir Barclays is snobby Brit, ergo pain in the butt. If you look at some of the threads here, you’ll see they go to lengths to make some people miserable (e.g. reducing CL’s). I would leave him rot with his whiskey and cigar, and do business with a decent company, like AMEX. Also consider Deserve, which has a decent card (Pro Platinum) for H1B holders. There are just so many options out there. 
Oh, and I wouldn’t worry about any serious legal problem.The worst they would realistically do is close your account. Again, not worth it.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The app doesn't not ask op to say he is a citizen. There is absolutely no "citizenship fraud" in anyway if op check it.

I know immigration is a hot topic, but there is no need to be overtly paranoid.

And finally, there are better cards around than this, if you are worried, try another card.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

By pressing APPLY I certify that:
I am at least 18 years old and a permanent resident of the United States

Certifying that you are a Permanent Resident of the United States when you are not is falsification of an application. Also known as fraud.

Agree to disagree...

Edit: folks, I’m not saying the police are going to come knocking down his door. Geeze. I’m just saying apply by phone because the online app isn’t set up for H1B applicants. Don’t say something that isn’t true. Just call them. Apps like this can be done over the phone. No harm, no foul.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.