cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to answer identity verification questions to create mySocialSecuirty account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unable to answer identity verification questions to create mySocialSecuirty account

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

The security question verification is absolute nonsense. Equifax could goof up a two car funeral. As to NL I have no clue. I was not able to register for USPS Informed Delivery due to failure to answer security questions. I had to go to the PO with my ID for verification, was given a barcode or some other such nonsense and finally was able to register. 

United Health uses that balderdash Healthsafe ID. That's another nightmare to access an established online account for my health insurance. 

Last month I was not able to activate a thirty year old MasterCard issued by my primary bank. The phone rep asked for my postal zip. How stupid is that? The zip is on the mailng. He went on to tell me that my info would not populate. Next he said there is no public record info on me. He told me to have the co-owner call and vouch for me. How stupid is that? 

I went to the local branch bank to have the card activated. The rep who has helped me on may occasions had difficulty activating the account. She entered all the necessary info and was sent to a phone rep who asked a bunch of stupid quesitons. It took about half an hour to activate the renewal card on this 30 year old account. All my info disappeared per the bank rep. This is the first time I have ever had an issue activating a credit card.

How can we provide the correct answers if they don't know the question?

Thanks for the heads up on mySocial Security. I'll try to establish an account before my anticipated trip to the local SS office in a few months. I don't want to deal with them twice either. Social Security reps are another fountain of bad information. Please educate yourself about any benefits before you visit to apply. They often shoot for low score or just plain don't know anything. Their mistake can cost you $$.

Ugh! I have been able to log in to my UHC Medicare website ONCE since the switch to Healthsafe ID! I hate that stupid site!

🤬

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unable to answer identity verification questions to create mySocialSecuirty account

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Langley-Federal-Credit-Union/m-p/5477473/highlight...

I had a similar experience today with security questions attempting to open an account with Langley FCU. Answered the questions wrong, locked out 30 days, took a hard pull for nothing.

Message 12 of 27
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

The security question verification is absolute nonsense. Equifax could goof up a two car funeral. As to NL I have no clue. I was not able to register for USPS Informed Delivery due to failure to answer security questions. I had to go to the PO with my ID for verification, was given a barcode or some other such nonsense and finally was able to register. 

United Health uses that balderdash Healthsafe ID. That's another nightmare to access an established online account for my health insurance. 

Last month I was not able to activate a thirty year old MasterCard issued by my primary bank. The phone rep asked for my postal zip. How stupid is that? The zip is on the mailng. He went on to tell me that my info would not populate. Next he said there is no public record info on me. He told me to have the co-owner call and vouch for me. How stupid is that? 

I went to the local branch bank to have the card activated. The rep who has helped me on may occasions had difficulty activating the account. She entered all the necessary info and was sent to a phone rep who asked a bunch of stupid quesitons. It took about half an hour to activate the renewal card on this 30 year old account. All my info disappeared per the bank rep. This is the first time I have ever had an issue activating a credit card.

How can we provide the correct answers if they don't know the question?

Thanks for the heads up on mySocial Security. I'll try to establish an account before my anticipated trip to the local SS office in a few months. I don't want to deal with them twice either. Social Security reps are another fountain of bad information. Please educate yourself about any benefits before you visit to apply. They often shoot for low score or just plain don't know anything. Their mistake can cost you $$.

Ugh! I have been able to log in to my UHC Medicare website ONCE since the switch to Healthsafe ID! I hate that stupid site!

🤬

I used the option for a phone call. UH calls my home phone. I answer and key in the numerical code that UH flashed on the computer screen. Stupid but easier than the secret questions. 

I am able to access the site with the computer used to set up the Healthsafe ID. The other computer requires all the phone call foolishness. I've tried in vain to persuade the powers that be at tech support that anyone who has access to my home phone and computer is in the house. Better things to for than info on my prescription refills. 

With electronic medical records we have no privacy. Health care providers no onger hide behind HIPPA when they goof up. Were the only ones unable to access our own info. 

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes on that last point for sure. I’ve been complaining about HIPAA no longer applying for years now. The only thing is serves to do these days is make it harder for us to take control of our health records while everyone else has them. Like if you get a DNA test? Your insurance company can use that against you. 

But the site has infuriated me so much with the Healthsafe ID issues that next time I can’t get in, I’m switching plans. 

I guess my goal for 2019 will be to get ahold of all of the third party bureaus and fix any incorrect info they have for me... should be able to get that done by January 1st, 2020...

Message 14 of 27
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes on that last point for sure. I’ve been complaining about HIPAA no longer applying for years now. The only thing is serves to do these days is make it harder for us to take control of our health records while everyone else has them. Like if you get a DNA test? Your insurance company can use that against you. 

But the site has infuriated me so much with the Healthsafe ID issues that next time I can’t get in, I’m switching plans. 

I guess my goal for 2019 will be to get ahold of all of the third party bureaus and fix any incorrect info they have for me... should be able to get that done by January 1st, 2020...

I've been able to log on to UHC site as of yesterday with the computer that did *not* set up the ID. Maybe they updated/changed the software? I tried just for fun. 

This time checking the remember this computer does the trick. It didn't work previously but does now. I had to do the phone call thing but since then I can access my info. 

Hope it works for you.

Message 15 of 27
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: Unable to answer identity verification questions to create mySocialSecurity account

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

@iv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I called Social Security tech support and was told that the questions came from Equifax.

While they were correct that SSA (and the IRS) do use Equifax for identity verification... that doesn't mean what you might assume.

They have a contract with Equifax, the company.  That does not mean that the verified data is limited to information on your "normal" Equifax credit report, just that Equifax is the sub-contractor for the verification services.

They do pull from other sources, including other Equifax databases, third-party databases, and public records.

I had a verification question last year about "someone I previously lived with", and none of the names were even close... but... I happened to recognize one of them as the spouse of someone I had sold a condo to four years ago.  The public records search associated my name with the address, and the spouse of the buyer with the address, in the same calendar year, and thus linked us for the ID question.

...and since I answered "correctly" (IE: picked their name, rather than "failing" the question), there's now an additional record out there that I've "confirmed" the connection.

...sigh.

Oh brother! Seriously?

I've guessed a few times at things that sounded familiar, distant cousin's age etc..

Now I have to look forward to them possibly reusing that info??!!

Sheesh!  It would be nice if they could stick to the last couple decades and not ask me questions about distant relatives I've never met. Sad sigh.gif

I had one of those questions recently about people I know.  DWs exhusband was listed,   I have never met him, but I answered with his name and passed the verification. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 16 of 27
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: Unable to answer identity verification questions to create mySocialSecurity account

and then there was the time I failed a verification for a new money market account.   There had been one question about an address I lived at 30 years ago.   I was sure I failed that one, but when I called in the rep told me it was one of the other questions I answered wrong. Smiley Happy   The only one I wasn't sure about was the address one.  

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been trying to follow up with my own failed identity verification incident.

I got a big fat file from LexisNexis today, 78 pages. I went through the whole thing and its really boring. A few pages about my auto insurance provider. Then the rest is every variation of my name and like 7 addresses repeated over and over. Not much else in there. I guess there are 4 more parts getting mailed separately. I can't wait. 

I don't see any connections yet between my LexisNexis information and the questions Langley FCU asked me to verify my identity.

Anyone here more well versed with where those questions come from? I've gone on a spree of ordering reports. I got LexisNexis, Innovis, Teletrack, EWS, Chex and more on the way. If there is bad info out there on me I want to fix it.

Message 18 of 27
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been trying to follow up with my own failed identity verification incident.

I got a big fat file from LexisNexis today, 78 pages. I went through the whole thing and its really boring. A few pages about my auto insurance provider. Then the rest is every variation of my name and like 7 addresses repeated over and over. Not much else in there. I guess there are 4 more parts getting mailed separately. I can't wait. 

I don't see any connections yet between my LexisNexis information and the questions Langley FCU asked me to verify my identity.

Anyone here more well versed with where those questions come from? I've gone on a spree of ordering reports. I got LexisNexis, Innovis, Teletrack, EWS, Chex and more on the way. If there is bad info out there on me I want to fix it.

I ordered my Lexis Nexis report today.   How long did it take to get yours?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 2 weeks. I mailed the request form on the 4th or 5th. The report is dated the 8th.
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.