cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get credit report?

tag
genmes

Unable to get credit report?

I am a 20 year old that has no credit history. Never had a credit card, loans, and etc. I tried getting my free credit report online, but I was unable to answer to the 5 questions they give me. Those questions were regarding students loans,which did not apply to me since I never had taken out loan before.So I requested my credit report via mail where I sent them my Driver's license and paystub for proof of my identity. They replied back with a letter saying the proof of identity does not match what they have on file.

I have a older brother that have the same first name and last name as me (the only difference is our middle name). We live in the same house (same address). And our social security number is the same with the only difference in the last 2 digits.

So it seems to me that Equifax only have my brother in their records. I don't think I am even in their records. I can't dispute online because that requires a credit report (which I am trying to get). What should I do? Call them? Mail a dispute letter?

I have the same problem with Transunion as well. However I was able to get my credit report online for Experian.

Any suggestions or comments are deeply apperciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Unable to get credit report?

Message 2 of 14
genmes

The report just saids like "0 potentially negative items in your report", "0 accounts in good standing in your report". So I could get a credit report, even though I don't have credit? This is definitely MY credit report, because it has the banks that requested for my credit report (I applied for CC from them ).

Message 3 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Each CRA is different but if you have no credit there would be no credit report to generate.  Or a score.

It takes one account reporting for 6 months to generate a FICO score.

Message 4 of 14
genmes

Then how do I get credit? I applied for a CC, but rejected because I have a low credit score? But I don't have credit.

Message 5 of 14
genmes

I also wanted to add they saying my credit score is too low on Equifax, NOT Experian. But like I said in my original post I believe the credit report is of my brothers, not mine.

Message 6 of 14
benitosolo04
Valued Member

My first CC was a secure card which might be the way you want look into just to get the ball rolling on getting some credit under you belt... Most college student cards are also a pretty easy card to get. Hope this helps a little.

AU:(2/28/15 Starting FICO's EX= 685 TU= 689 EQ= 683 Goal=750 GARDEN- 3/3/2015 Last APP- 3/3/15)
Message 7 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@genmes wrote:

I also wanted to add they saying my credit score is too low on Equifax, NOT Experian. But like I said in my original post I believe the credit report is of my brothers, not mine.

If you do not have any type of credit reporting you cannot generate a FICO score. It is very possible that your brothers report is either mingled with yours or they could have pulled the wrong one.  You mentioned your SSN are off by only 2 numbers.

Message 8 of 14
genmes

I will be calling them on Monday to get my brother's and mine credit report sorted out..  Do I need to mail a dispute letter?

Message 9 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would just call them first.  They will probably need copies of both of your IDs and SS cards to get it straightened out.

You can't really dispute anything.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.