cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to pull 3B report with security freeze?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to pull 3B report with security freeze?

All three of my reports are on ice, and today I bought a 3B report. Got a message saying to call in for manual verification--did so and was informed that myFICO cannot pull reports when a freeze is in place.

I thought personal reports and soft pulls were allowed with a freeze and that only hard pulls were blocked? Is that not correct?

Do I need to temporarily unfreeze my reports every time I want to pull a new 3B report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Unable to pull 3B report with security freeze?

I'm not fully sure, but I think only lenders or sites that you already gave access to, before you freeze your report, can still soft pull after the freeze. Anything new, you probably have to either unfreeze, or somehow give permission through the bureaus to them, so they can have access.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All three of my reports are on ice, and today I bought a 3B report. Got a message saying to call in for manual verification--did so and was informed that myFICO cannot pull reports when a freeze is in place.

I thought personal reports and soft pulls were allowed with a freeze and that only hard pulls were blocked? Is that not correct?

Do I need to temporarily unfreeze my reports every time I want to pull a new 3B report?

All my reports are frozen as well.  In order for me to pull a 3B here, I had to unfreeze Experian and Transunion, while Equifax remained frozen.  YMMV as you may need to unfreeze ALL reports.

Message 3 of 6
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

All my reports are frozen as well.  In order for me to pull a 3B here, I had to unfreeze Experian and Transunion, while Equifax remained frozen.  YMMV as you may need to unfreeze ALL reports.

All of my files are frozen and I had problems with a 3B report in January. I was able to purchase the 3B report and my Transunion and Equifax scores were provided but Experian was not. I then tried to pull a 1B report from Experian and was not able to get that either. It seems that Experian policies don't allow a person to access their own report when the file is frozen. They do still let you get your once per year free credit report (no FICO) and use credit monitoring services but that's it. It feels wrong to me but my experiences with Experian have all been bad.

MyFICO on the other hand was great and almost immeditately refunded one third of the price of the 3B report without me even having to ask.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wanted to get the Premier 3B subscription yesterday but got errored out.  I called in this morning, and spoke with a lady that seemed to know her stuff.  If you have security freezes on all 3B's, you will need to unfreeze  EX & TU prior to signing up for 3B monitoring or a 1 time 3B pull.  Both experian and transunion will not provide reports.  After that monitoring will work through a freeze for all 3.  On your next subscription pull (1 month or 3 month depending on your plan) you will only need to Unfreeze experian.  

She said this happens because the CB's will not provide the Reports to MyFICO.  I was thinking about filing a CPFB complaint about this, but I am not sure.  Anyways, if you play to have freezes on your accounts, then you should not plan on using MyFICO 3B subscriptions or 1x purchases, unless you are willing to pay for temp lifting of freezes.  I personally find this really unfair.  To me it seems like experian is doing this to promote their own products (CCT etc.)  I have CCT and am happy with it, but I think there needs to be a way for consumers to authorize a specific credit monitoring company to access their reports through a freeze.  /end rant

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would not involve the CFPB in complaints you have regarding internal CRA policies unless those policies somehow violate the FCRA.

Freezes are not regulated under the FCRA, they are privately imposed restrirctions based on CRA policy or state laws/regs.

If a freeze is considered too restrictive and the basis for the freeze was fraud or ID theft concerns, you might wish to consider fraud alerts as an alternative.

They ARE regulated under the FCRA, and thus have well-defined parameters.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.