Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Inquiry from Discover?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unauthorized Inquiry from Discover?

My Discover card only has a $500 limit, and on Black Friday, I wanted to make some sale purchases. I already had a couple hundred on the card (end of the month, my daily spending stacked up) and didn't have room for it all, and not enough time for a payment to go through before the sales ended. I did a live chat with Discover online to talk about temporarily or permanently increasing my limit to make a couple purchases, specifically saying I do not want to proceed with the request if a hard pull on my credit is necessary. They asked a couple questions, said they'd need to do a hard pull, and said I would not like to proceed. They cancelled the request.

Fast forward to this week, both Credit Karma and Capital One Credit Tracker tell me I have a new inquiry. I just got approved for the Chase Freedom card, so I assumed it was that, but I see that both are reporting an inquiry from Discover marked 12/6. I did a live chat again with them a couple days ago to see what's going on. They confirmed that I did talk to someone about a credit increase, but the request was cancelled because I did not want a hard pull, and it should not result in an inquiry.

How should I proceed? It seems obvious this inquiry should not be here. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Inquiry from Discover?

In most cases the conversation is recorded calling. I'm not sure about chat. I would call about it. You may get them to remove them but I wouldn't hold out much hope as they are allowed to for CLI without permission. The worst case have them use the HP and get a CLI.  Good Luck!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldnmn wrote:

In most cases the conversation is recorded calling. I'm not sure about chat. I would call about it. You may get them to remove them but I wouldn't hold out much hope as they are allowed to for CLI without permission. The worst case have them use the HP and get a CLI.  Good Luck!

I was thinking that....the inquiry wasn't a huge hit and I have a couple dropping off next summer, so maybe I should just take it and increase my CL. My only concern is that since they claim they didn't make the inquiry, if I ask for one, they'll make another inquiry. I'll call soon and hopefully get that figured out.

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

If they confirm that it should not have led to a pull then see if you can get them to remove it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.