Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized card use, card never out of possession and never used online

tag
Bob555

Unauthorized card use, card never out of possession and never used online

Hi,

Someone apparently hacked my card and started making unauthorized purchases. My bank caught it immediately and declined them, so no money lost. I'm just trying to figure out how it happened. The card has a chip. I only use this card rarely and have never used it for online purchases. I have only used it at 3 stores and it was always just tap the card to pay, the card was never out of my possession, no stor employee touched it or had a chance to take a photo of the card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

B

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Unauthorized card use, card never out of possession and never used online

@Bob555 wrote:

Hi,

Someone apparently hacked my card and started making unauthorized purchases. My bank caught it immediately and declined them, so no money lost. I'm just trying to figure out how it happened. The card has a chip. I only use this card rarely and have never used it for online purchases. I have only used it at 3 stores and it was always just tap the card to pay, the card was never out of my possession, no stor employee touched it or had a chance to take a photo of the card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

B

There are many ways it can happen.  In your case some of the possible ways are (a) someone scanning it through your wallet (b) the number being released in a data breach or (c) someone near you at the store using a scanning device to intercept the NFC signal.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 21
Kforce
Valued Contributor

A card can be compromised, not being used, and locked in a safe.

The reason that it is necessary to monitor and check every credit/debit card

and all savings/checking accounts every month. I check each a minimum of twice

Message 3 of 21
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The dark web. Got a new Disco card 3 weeks ago. Same thing.

Message 4 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Unfortunately no matter how much you may try to physically safeguard a card, there'll always be ways of bad actors compromising it. As long as the banks catch it and/or you catch and report it, it's not a big deal.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 21
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@Bob555  Call the credit card company and that account closed ASAP.  Dispute the fraud charge and creditor will send you another card with a new account number.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 CLOSED: Walmart Capital 1 Banking: Discover Bank Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 21
Bob555

Thanks to all for the replies, the bank caught it, the card has been canceled, no harm. Was just hoping for some insight on how it happened so I could better protect myself in the future. Guess they somehow got my PIN as well as the card number and security code. Also wonder how the bank knew it was fraud. The hacker placed an online order, would the bank know the shipping address was different from mine?  @SouthJamaica - "someone scanning it through your wallet"??? I though chip cards were supposed cur down on fraud.

Message 7 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Bob555 wrote:

Thanks to all for the replies, the bank caught it, the card has been canceled, no harm. Was just hoping for some insight on how it happened so I could better protect myself in the future. Guess they somehow got my PIN as well as the card number and security code. Also wonder how the bank knew it was fraud. The hacker placed an online order, would the bank know the shipping address was different from mine?  @SouthJamaica - "someone scanning it through your wallet"??? I though chip cards were supposed cur down on fraud.

Yeah, well.

A lot of things are supposed to be, that aren't.

Here's an article on RFID scanning of contactless cards:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/01/30/hackers-demo-shows-how-easily-credit-cards-can...

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 8 of 21
Bob555

Thanks, scary.

Message 9 of 21
DollyLama
Established Contributor

I don't use a debit card, asked for one not to be issued-due to previous data breaches. So I use credit cards as a debit (plus the cash back rewards). What I like with mine, is I have it set up in alerts with the CC issuer for the lowest amount possible, and as soon as my card is swiped in my possession or I buy online, I receive a text message instantly, with amount and with whom. Sure, it may get compromised, but I would know sooner than my creditor.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.