Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Inquiry

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Unknown Inquiry

Ok this day has not been too great, first the phantom collection phone call ( see other post) and now I get an alert that I have a recent inquiry.

I did not apply for anything let alone an installment loan. I tried calling the number listed, of course it goes straight to an extension voicemail.

When I search the actual address it is for lease/rent??

Any ideas here?

It is from :

Senior Capital LLC

1501 E Orangethorpe Ave

Fullerton CA 92831

INQ type: Installment loan

Business type Bulk purchase finance??

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Unknown Inquiry

I locked all three of my reports just to be safe . I tried calling experian but can't seem to get a live person. As I mentioned the number listed goes straight to a voicemail.

Now I am wondering if this has anything remotely to do with that strange collection call or this happens to be a strange coincidence? 

Any thoughts????

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

I locked all three of my reports just to be safe . I tried calling experian but can't seem to get a live person. As I mentioned the number listed goes straight to a voicemail.

Now I am wondering if this has anything remotely to do with that strange collection call or this happens to be a strange coincidence? 

Any thoughts????

That sure would be my guess, since you didn't cave and offer to pay them how ever much they want they decided to get your attention another way. Keep those credit reports locked! I've kept all 3 of mine locked since the Equifax data breach, it's quick & easy to unlock them when you do want to apply for credit.

I didn't get any Google hits on "Senior Capital LLC", so they're likely a pretty small, private company, and Google maps identify that address as an office building, so without a suite number impossible to dig deeper, it could just be a mailbox rental service, and to me telling that they left the suite # off their HP identifying info. Yeah, pretty much impossible to get a live person at Experian, but if you have a service to lock & unlock EX you should be able to use that to dispute the HP. I'm no expert, but I don't think a collector trying to collect an old debt is a legitmate reason to HP your credit. 

Interesting to me how these junk debt buyer collection outfits get your phone #. I had a collector call me last fall on my cell phone # which I keep very private - for my sister in Ohio! I tried first by saying "Does my voice sound like my name would be 'Mary'?", and he countered with "we know she's your sister". I know Lexis-Nexis connects us by our parents' address in the 1980s, so I countered with "so why are you calling me about someone else's debt?" He came back with "Do you want your sister to go to jail?", which really ticked me off so I told him to go effe himself and hung up.

Message 3 of 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thank you, I am thinking the same thing. This is too strange to be a coincidence. Of course it states the inquiry was for a loan application, very odd timing .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is a relatively obscure permissible purpose relating to a party who is evaluating the current accounts of another party for potential investment in or servicing or insuring the accounts of the other party. 

See FCRA 604(a)(3)(E).

However, I believe that CRA policy is to code such inquiries as soft.

The inquiry may have been miscoded, resulting in reporting as a hard pull.

I would contact the CRA and reqeust an explantion of the permissible purpose, and possible recoding to soft.

Message 5 of 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@RobertEG wrote:

There is a relatively obscure permissible purpose relating to a party who is evaluating the current accounts of another party for potential investment in or servicing or insuring the accounts of the other party. 

See FCRA 604(a)(3)(E).

However, I believe that CRA policy is to code such inquiries as soft.

The inquiry may have been miscoded, resulting in reporting as a hard pull.

I would contact the CRA and reqeust an explantion of the permissible purpose, and possible recoding to soft.

Ok I spent with last hour on the phone with Experian. The first rep stated I can not dispute the inquiry and I had to call the creditor for which I replied I have tried numerous times and get a generic extension voicemail.  She then transferred me to the " fraud department" that rep stated I can dispute the inquiry if I think I am the victim of "identity theft", so if i state that I will get a fraud alert correct? I was calling from my car so I had trouble hearing them heading to work, so I will call back tomorrow I suppose and try to once again get this removed.

This is so frustrating and I swear if that phantom collection appears on my report I think I will lose my mind.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Experian removed the inquiry last nightSmiley Happy Of course I told them I thought it may be fraud because I never applied for a loan.

So now besides my freeze I have the fraud alert. Honestly though I don't plan on applying for anything for at least a year so I may just keep this in place for awhile.

Still not sure if this has to do with the strange collection call or not but my gut tells me it did. So I will be watching my reports very carefully to make sure these bozos don't try to place anything on my reports.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.