Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpaid Parking Tickets

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unpaid Parking Tickets

When can unpaid parking tickets show up on a credit report?  Is it not until a collection agency takes over the account?  How long until they can ding your credit?  Do they have to give you notice?  I'm in California if this helps.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Unpaid Parking Tickets

@Anonymous wrote:

When can unpaid parking tickets show up on a credit report?  Is it not until a collection agency takes over the account?  How long until they can ding your credit?  Do they have to give you notice?  I'm in California if this helps.

It can vary by state, but usually this is what can happen:   When you fail to pay a speeding/parking ticket and don't show up for the court date then a judgement and fine is levied against you and possibly a warrant is issued for your arrest.   The issuing municipality may or may not get a CA involved to collect the fines, usually the CA will start to call and/or send letters.     This judgement and collection may or may not appear on your reports.      

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Im dealing with this right now.  Ive gone through and paid all my debts that I owed and forgot about two, a bs speeding camera ticket and a parking ticket.  Both are from 2010.  The late fees on these are ridiculous (parking ticket was for $100, they now want $600).  Neither of these is on my credit report yet but I'm fearful that they may be so Im trying to handle now.  I'll have to waste a day at mayor's office to try to get the late fees removed.

Before my rebuild, I wouldn't had given a damn about this.  Funny how refocusing on finances makes you look at things differently.

Duncan

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Duncanrr - don't think of it as a waste - $500 is a lot of money!   Much more than I make in a day!   Even if you get half of that taken off of the ticket, it would be financially beneficial to you.

And offering to pay in person should have an impact on how much they are willing to forgive on the ticket.

Just remember to be nice, polite, courteous, and thankful.

Message 4 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

@Duncanrr - don't think of it as a waste - $500 is a lot of money!   Much more than I make in a day!   Even if you get half of that taken off of the ticket, it would be financially beneficial to you.

And offering to pay in person should have an impact on how much they are willing to forgive on the ticket.

Just remember to be nice, polite, courteous, and thankful.

Yes, your right.  $500 nothing to shake your head at.  However, I typically bill about $200/hour.  So if it takes longer than 2.5 hours then I'm losing money.  More importantly, I'm losing my firm money.  As an associate trying to make partner, thats a no no Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Billing $200/hr and taking home $200/hr are not the same thing.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 6 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

Billing $200/hr and taking home $200/hr are not the same thing.

They are for my employer Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.