Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual Rise in my Credit Karma Credit Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unusual Rise in my Credit Karma Credit Scores

Now I know that Credit Karma isn't the most accurate credit score, but the other day both my Transunion and Equifax scores went up nearly 50 points. There were no major changes other than an approximate 8% increase in my total credit available, bringing it to approximately $108,000. Now I have had something like this happen once before, and the next Credit Karma score upsdate brought them back down nearly to where they were, but this time they are not going back down. I didn't know if it was normal for scores to jump that much.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unusual Rise in my Credit Karma Credit Scores

Vantage is known to be more temperamental than a bridezilla on her wedding day, just ignore it. 

Message 2 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Yup, definitely as temperamental as some posters on message boards, irrespective of their gender   

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a better free alternative to Credit Karma's Vantage score?

Message 4 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Well, your Disco gives you free monthly TU, I am not sure if Lowe's and Care Credit do the same. 

EX also provides free monthly score and report 

There is also Credit check Total (dont know if EX) kept that name, but some people sign up for free trial, keep it for the duration of trial, cancel, start over. 

As far as paid subscriptions, MyFico and Ex both provide those services. Both have various products, but again, those are not free 

Bottom line, if you're interested in tracking your scores, you'd want to use a service that provides Fico scores as Vanatge scores are seldom used for lending decisions. 

They are fine for monitoring your report though

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't pay attention to it much but the other day one of my  credit karma scores dropped 94 points and then a couple of days later went back up 92 points.

Message 6 of 8
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

My Credit Karma scores went up about 20-30 points, too! I believe it's because none of my accounts are under 3 months old anymore, plus my oldest account just hit 13 years. Did you have some new accounts that aged past the 3 month mark? Or did one of your oldest accounts reach a milestone? 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a better free alternative to Credit Karma's Vantage score?

Are you talking Fico scores, or another VS source?  If you're looking for Fico scores, several of the CCs you have provide them for free monthly.  You can also hit creditscore.com or creditscorecard.com to get a free EX 8 score.  If you're looking for additional VS 3.0 sources, there are a bunch like Credit Sesame, WalletHub, credit.com, etc.  All of them though will provide the same scores you're seeing through CK, so they aren't going to be any different than the CK scores if they're from the same bureau at the same time.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.