Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating phone number on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating phone number on credit report

Hello, I've tried to take several loans and all got declined because they weren't able to verify my cell phone number - that's because I'm using a prepaid plan right now and the numbers that are on my credit report are no longer in use.

What's the fastest way to have new mobile phone on my credit report? Heard that by contacting credit bureaus it takes 30 days -= that's way too long for me in this case.

Maybe if I add my phone number on linkedin or virtual credit cards, they will appear on my credit report way quicker than 30 days? What are suggestions to have my new phone appear on credit report within 5-7 business days at the most ?

Thank you for answers!

6 REPLIES 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Updating phone number on credit report

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I've tried to take several loans and all got declined because they weren't able to verify my cell phone number - that's because I'm using a prepaid plan right now and the numbers that are on my credit report are no longer in use.

What's the fastest way to have new mobile phone on my credit report? Heard that by contacting credit bureaus it takes 30 days -= that's way too long for me in this case.

Maybe if I add my phone number on linkedin or virtual credit cards, they will appear on my credit report way quicker than 30 days? What are suggestions to have my new phone appear on credit report within 5-7 business days at the most ?

Thank you for answers!

Generally consumers can't add information to credit reports. The normal way new addresses or phone numbers are added is to update your personal information with your current lenders and they report that information. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem with existing lender is that they gonna report my new phone number only next billing cycle (next month) but I need that faster.

Message 3 of 7
Kahnawake007
Regular Contributor

Go directly to all 3 Agencies websites. 

No letter writing or any of that nonsense. Just as easily as you can dispute an old address or old telephone number, even if valid. As long as it is not connected to any of your accounts (active or not), you can dispute it and it will generally be removed in 2-4 business days. It may show back up if you have not updated your basic personal information on active accounts. Closed accounts do not update or report anything to EX TU or EQ.

One of the very first things I did when I started my credit journey was to remove all old personal information. Maybe this is taboo for some people, I don't know. Even if the information was valid, I just figured that they only need the most up-to-date information. So I disputed everything that I could and it was removed in 2 days. YMMV. Except for Experian, couldn't remove a couple of things on their website because they were still connected to closed in good standing accounts. 

Edited: Can't remember about all agencies, but I do recall at least one or two asked me to update my current address and phone number with them as soon as I created my free account on each website. 

Message 4 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Kahnawake007 wrote:

Go directly to all 3 Agencies websites. 

No letter writing or any of that nonsense. Just as easily as you can dispute an old address or old telephone number, even if valid. As long as it is not connected to any of your accounts (active or not), you can dispute it and it will generally be removed in 2-4 business days. It may show back up if you have not updated your basic personal information on active accounts. Closed accounts do not update or report anything to EX TU or EQ.

One of the very first things I did when I started my credit journey was to remove all old personal information. Maybe this is taboo for some people, I don't know. Even if the information was valid, I just figured that they only need the most up-to-date information. So I disputed everything that I could and it was removed in 2 days. YMMV. Except for Experian, couldn't remove a couple of things on their website because they were still connected to closed in good standing accounts. 

Great advice for removal of old personal information; however, the OP wants to add information 

Message 5 of 7
Kahnawake007
Regular Contributor

You are correct. I Edited my original response to add a missing paragraph that I thought I put in there already. But upon re-reading my own comment I saw I missed it. 

You must have replied while I was typing the last paragraph lol. Of the basic personal info, they will let you tell them your address and phone number. Sadly you cannot tell them where you work though. 

Message 6 of 7
jmonroe0914

@Anonymous  Do you have a fraud alert on your credit report, as phone numbers aren't generally included on a report unless it's within a fraud alert?

• If so, contact the fraud dept at the bureau the creditor is pulling the report from to have it updated (takes effect within a few minutes to a max of 24hrs). It will be updated across all three bureaus automatically by contacting one, but am uncertain on the timeframe (IIRC, 1 - 3 days)
  • With fraud alerts, it's imperative your phone number is updated with one of the bureau's fraud departments as soon as a change occurs, as it's currently the only way you can be immediately verified for credit applications

While old personal contact information [address, phone] can be disputed on a credit report, you can't add that information since it's pulled from your current accounts, and phone numbers aren't reported to the bureaus by any creditor AFAIK.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.