Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrading Credit Cards

I see there was recently talk of converting or upgrading AMEX Delta Skymiles to AMEX BLUE CASH. I did that and it worked like a charm--no credit pulled, no new account numbers.

I am wondering--can I upgrade any of my other cards--I have a CITI AMEX AAdvantage card, an Orchard Bank Card and a Capital One card.

It worked with AMEX, maybe it'll work with others? Also while we're on that subject, can someone explain how having a prime credit card on a report is more helpful to your FICO then having a subprime card?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgrading Credit Cards

Good question. I'm wondering the same thing myself. I have a Bofa card that I would like to upgrade to another of their cards with the type of deal that I want. I am eager to see what the answer to this question is.
Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

rifleman wrote:
I see there was recently talk of converting or upgrading AMEX Delta Skymiles to AMEX BLUE CASH. I did that and it worked like a charm--no credit pulled, no new account numbers.

I am wondering--can I upgrade any of my other cards--I have a CITI AMEX AAdvantage card, an Orchard Bank Card and a Capital One card.

It worked with AMEX, maybe it'll work with others? Also while we're on that subject, can someone explain how having a prime credit card on a report is more helpful to your FICO then having a subprime card?

It has been confirmed by FICO that sub-prime and prime CCs are weighted equally, one is not scored better than the other. This policy will continue with the new FICO scoring model that takes effect this September.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I just answered my own question partially---You can convert cards within CITI bank--I got an AADvantage AMEX card through them and I just converted it to the Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® MasterCard®, which is a more prestigious card requiring "excellent credit". MY credit scores are far from excellent when I applied for the Addvantage card my scores were
tu: 611
eq:638
ex:652

So I guess it's true! You can convert up without having your credit pulled! This is a good strategy I'm seeing--get your foot in the door, then Level up!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just called up and asked to upgrade on an HSBC/Orchand Bank card...it didn't fly with them. maybe someone else will have some luck with it.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.