Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage - How infrequent before Issuer kiboshes (closes or CLD) CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usage - How infrequent before Issuer kiboshes (closes or CLD) CC

TLDNR:  How frequently/often do you use EACH card?  How long (in months) with no usage. 

Update: Thread linked below popped-up with info pertinent to my inquiry about thwarting inactivity closings (though well summarized by Ob-Ex & HeavenO in this thread)

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-cards-closed-due-to-inactivity/td-p/53...

W/O attemping the manufactured spend route & eschewing paying property taxes (there's a fee), Yankee-thrift has limited my CC usage.

I have been spreading the usage with at least one charge/mth on each of 4 cards. 

I suspect mthly frequency is unnecessary, but for those who mention idling lesser cards in the sock drawer, do the issuers cancel those cards or hit you with CLDs? 

Is there a number of months with no usage (and zero balance) before a CC Issuer will place a Super Prime user on their radar as a credit risk?
(Risk clarity: Issuers providing large CL's, opening their exposure w/o generating interest income and only nominal merchant fees)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Usage - How infrequent before Issuer kiboshes (closes or CLD) CC

In general once a year is a good policy to keep things up and running.  It doesn't have to be much spendi n most cases to keep the computer monitoring your accounts from slashing your limits or closing your accounts.  

I use Amazon GC Reloads for a vareity of purposes to keep things running smoothly everywhere.  You can specify the amount you want to reload and if adventurous you can even setup auto reload as well.  I don't use a ton of my cards on a regular basis due to rewards and balancing out things financially.  

There have been mentions in the past that Barclay's will look into you if you don't use them every 6 months.  Personal experience with Synch says 22 months is about where they will close you out for lack of use.  One off's like Care Credit seem to have an issue around 12 months though even though they're a Synch card.

Prioritize your cards based on how much you like them and focus your spend there.  Lower priority cards just do something small like a $5 reload every once in awhile and setup autopay for the statement balance on them.

Message 2 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Your plan is fine as long as it doesn't inconvenience you. The general recommendation for avoiding card closure has been to use a major card once every six months and a store card once a year. But we've had reports that Wells Fargo will close cards at six months of inactivity, so you probably want to use your major cards a bit more often than that.

CLDs are another story. Some banks require a fair amount of care and feeding, while others will let low spending slide.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

CLDs are another story. Some banks require a fair amount of care and feeding, while others will let low spending slide.

My idea of Yankee-thrift is not that of my grandparents.
Appreciate the comments and observations, TU

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.