2) TU has a 60D late on it, EQ has zero derogatories or deliquencies

Silliness.

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.51.37 PM.png

        
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vantage 3.0 - what?

VS3.0 is off its meds. My CK update last Friday shows 5 cards with balance reductions, a card over 3 months of age, two accounts passing two years of age, three cards with CLIs that totaled $2550, and the removal of a collection. Every one of those things is a positive, and each is even marked as such in CK. The result was a score drop of 17 points. 

There should be nobody anywhere who is wondering why VS3.0 was never adopted by the lending industry...

Message 2 of 12
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

VS3.0 is off its meds. My CK update last Friday shows 5 cards with balance reductions, a card over 3 months of age, two accounts passing two years of age, three cards with CLIs that totaled $2550, and the removal of a collection. Every one of those things is a positive, and each is even marked as such in CK. The result was a score drop of 17 points. 

There should be nobody anywhere who is wondering why VS3.0 was never adopted by the lending industry...

Well that is disheartening, In my experience I had 2 collections on my reports and when one fell off I got @10-15 points increase across the bureaus. I expected the same when the last one dropped off but my credit score remained the same across the bureaus-disheartening.

In researching this result may have been due to now having a clean file and moving to a new scorecard (moving from one of the 4 bad scorecards to one of the 8 good scorecards for clean files).

I also read that sometimes when a lot of positives happen at once and perhaps added with a negative or negatives being dropped it causes an instability in your credit score which is a less obvious issue involved in credit scoring. The credit scoring system being introduced to this instability may not immediately assess the positives immediately and may even lower your score by some points until stability is obtained again in a few billing cycles.

My score did go up after a few billing cycles but I have a lot going on and can not directly state the degree of impact the dropping of the last collection (new scorecard+stability reset) in relationship to the point increases but it seems plausible some positive effect was obtained.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you're correct in your reasoning behind your scores vis-a-vis your report changes. In the case of mine and @Revelate the illogical movements were because it's VantageScore, not FICO. My FICO score increased as a result of those changes. VS decreased.

Message 4 of 12
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When my last collection was removed, my V 3.0 dropped something like 70 points. WTAF?  

I have just recently (last 3-4 weeks) paid off about $8k in cc debt, paid 6 cards to $0 (still have some with balances), all but 3 (with BT's) now under 30%...etc.  Big improvements in util.  No other changes (general aging but nothing hitting any thresholds).  

V 3.0 went up 10 points.  V4.0 went down 40.  Really?  

I think burning sage, moon phases and voodoo dolls have more impact on vantage scores than anything else.  

Message 5 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I have yet to get access to VS 4.0 as a scoring model, but if's not better than the awkwardness that VS 3.0 when any rational analysis is done, I can't see it's making many inroads either.

I would be fine if they both moved down or both moved up, but 60D late + high (ish, 7500/25000 tradeline) balance is a positive and clean (other than CFA which is anyone's guess under Vantage) + same balance = negative.

I get scorecards from my time spent analyzing the FICO algorithm, and sometimes shifting between scorecards is an oddity, but under no terms should an increase in debt (beyond the stupid all zeros issue and I suppose credit mix when we're talking installment lines), specifically revolving utilization, improve scores especially by a non-trivial amount.

20 points is a mortgage tier, that is non-trivial.

I know people talk about FICO as a profitability analysis rather than a risk one, but Vantage just looks brazen on that front.

        
Message 6 of 12
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

V3.0 doesn't include my closed auto loan. So my CK scores are way off (I think it's 60pts+ different)

And a couple months back my EQ score jumped +28 for "no reason generated" and TU never changed until I got new TL's and both dropped.

Glad lenders use Fico otherwise I'd be up a creek
Message 7 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

VS 3 factors closed accounts they just don’t show in Credit Karma’s stats.

If the auto loan isn’t on that bureau that is a different issue heh.

        
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

lusedtolurk I don’t believe there are any instabilities. The algorithm assigns a scorecard and runs through the mathematical formulas.

Scorecard reassignment can occur when you have derogatories dropped or under many other conditions. This can cause a score change which is unexpected, and which can appear as an instability.
Message 9 of 12
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
lusedtolurk I don’t believe there are any instabilities. The algorithm assigns a scorecard and runs through the mathematical formulas.

Sounds too technical, I'm convinced Vantage 3 just has someone throwing darts on a wall to calculate your score.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.