Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vantage 3 Fluctuates A LOT

tag
Joeychgo
Established Member

Vantage 3 Fluctuates A LOT

Can anyone helo me understand why this flucuates so much ?  It keeps bouncing by somewhere around 75 or so points, nothing is really changing as fas as inquiries, credit used, etc.   Im at around 13% utilization, all payments on time, etc.

Screenshot_2.png

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Re: Vantage 3 Fluctuates A LOT

Not sure that much help or insight will be provided on Vantage scoring model(s) as this site focuses more on FICO scoring models. Would you happen to know your FICO scores? Have your FICO scores been fluctuating?  

Credit Karma is used primarily to track data changes and not so much scoring as most lenders use FICO scores.

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 2 of 17
Joeychgo
Established Member

My FICO score 8 is steady (via experian) aound 750-750 for Trans Union & Experian

The only thing that has really changed recently is one credit card reduced my limit from $20k to $1200.  That's when all this started. (card is at $0 balance)

Message 3 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It's strictly a function of that specific model;  while the models themselves are confidential it's emperically understood that a number of the attributes used to calculate the scores using the Vantage 3.0 model have different weightings than they do with FICO 8 and it isn't unusual either for your Vantage 3.0 scores to be a lot more sensitive to changes in your profile (i.e. your score varies a lot more) than FICO 8.

It isn't unusual either to have a wide discrepancy between a Vantage 3.0 and FICO 8 score from the same profile.   My own experience from my peak churning/collecting days when I had fistfuls of inquries and my AAoA was shot to hell my FICO 8 scores were consistently in the 790-810 range with Vantage 3.0 scores in the 690 range. Those days have been behind me long enough that they're all nearly the same but even now my Vantage score from a given CRA's data will blip up and down a few points while my FICO score remains constant, consistent with my comment above regarding relative sensitivity to profile changes.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 17
Joeychgo
Established Member

well it isnt the difference in scores that worries me as much as the bouncing -- 75  or so points up and down, up and down, up and down..

Message 5 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Vantage was created by the 3 CRA's. Imagine if that was the only score that matters? No thanks. Your FICO score is based on the Fair Issac Corp program which is the baseline that the 3 CRA's use and tweak the main program to come up with their own FICO score. It is what it is. I wouldnt put much into it.

https://www.fico.com/ 

https://vantagescore.com/ 

Message 6 of 17
GatoradeZeroGuy
Valued Contributor

@Joeychgo wrote:

Can anyone helo me understand why this flucuates so much ?  It keeps bouncing by somewhere around 75 or so points, nothing is really changing as fas as inquiries, credit used, etc.   Im at around 13% utilization, all payments on time, etc.

Screenshot_2.png

what feedback are you getting from CK from the "see what's changed" on the dates with giant dips and rises? 

Perhaps some utilization threshold or reporting changes happens every so often which causes vantage to short-circuit like this. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 7 of 17
Joeychgo
Established Member

Nothing of any substance.   Utilization is been between 12 & 13%

Message 8 of 17
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Joeychgo wrote:

Screenshot_2.png

For me, my vantage score(s) hates utilization over 9%, maxed out cards (my current grocery card limit isn't high enough and I just let it report anyway) and a card that's had a zero balance suddenly reporting a balance of any kind. Version 3 seems more sensitive then version 4 but my scores are 50-75 points lower than my FICO 8 scores usually.  

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 17
Joeychgo
Established Member

@Adkins wrote:

@Joeychgo wrote:

For me, my vantage score(s) hates utilization over 9%, maxed out cards (my current grocery card limit isn't high enough and I just let it report anyway) and a card that's had a zero balance suddenly reporting a balance of any kind. Version 3 seems more sensitive then version 4 but my scores are 50-75 points lower than my FICO 8 scores usually.  

As I said, its more the bouncing up and down by such a big number that has me befuddled.   Not so much the difference between vantage and fico.   But maybe its a new version that they are tweaking or something.  Its just bounced back up again, 78 points.....

image.png

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.