cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vantage Score: Is it taking over? Who uses it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vantage Score: Is it taking over? Who uses it?

Is Vantage score taking over?

How do we know who uses this scoring system as supposed to the standard "traditional" FICO?

What are the main differences between FICO and VantageScore?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: Vantage Score: Is it taking over? Who uses it?

The vantage score or what is known as the credit bureaus version of the score is not taking over. At least 90% of all lenders use the fico credit score. Go down to your bank or credit union & ask them.

Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mikemsceo wrote:

Nope.  Might seem that way if you're reading Vantage Score marketing material.

@mikemsceo wrote:

How do we know who uses this scoring system as supposed to the standard "traditional" FICO?

Aggregated anecdotal evidence.

@mikemsceo wrote:

Not sure what answer you're expecting.  None of these companies release the details of their scoring models.  All we can really tell you is that they're different models and factors are weighed differently.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@mikemsceo wrote:

Nope.  Might seem that way if you're reading Vantage Score marketing material.

@mikemsceo wrote:

Aggregated anecdotal evidence.

@mikemsceo wrote:

Not sure what answer you're expecting.  None of these companies release the details of their scoring models.  All we can really tell you is that they're different models and factors are weighed differently.

Hi! Yeah thats what i meant. What factors weigh more for each scoring model... But i guess it is irrelevant since not many use it. But, what you said caught my attention. Why do the agencies not release information on how they get these scores. We should know.. I understand how it could cause issues knowing... but not knowing is more of an issue... May sound silly.. but how do i know my race and age have nothing to do with it?

Message 4 of 7
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Try Wikipedia for the basic details on how Vantage Scoring works.  Which factors weigh more, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VantageScore

It can't include things like race because it is not included in your credit report.  Your Vantage Score is calculated based on the same report as your FICO scores.  Your age is not included because it is illegal or at least very bad for PR.   Instead they use proxies (e.g. age of credit history).

Message 5 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Vantage score has been used in the past by Chase on some cc approvals, for some people.  Not widespread at all.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditDunce wrote:

Try Wikipedia for the basic details on how Vantage Scoring works.  Which factors weigh more, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VantageScore

It can't include things like race because it is not included in your credit report.  Your Vantage Score is calculated based on the same report as your FICO scores.  Your age is not included because it is illegal or at least very bad for PR.   Instead they use proxies (e.g. age of credit history).

Lol, thanks for that

Makes me feel a bit better!Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.