Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vantage scores

tag
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

Re: Vantage scores

@Trudy wrote:

@CAS2019, I get what you're saying.  I think the direction or education regarding FICO scores for the most part is due to OPs inquiring about their score or score movement when looking at VS.  If the questions revolved around good credit habits I think the FICO score suggestion would still come up but might come up less.  As soon as someone makes an inquiry regarding the current status or movement of their VS it seems important to educate or remind them that the same movement and consequences may not be going on with their FICO scores, let alone the varying models.

Before I completely understood the difference I used CK religiously to rebuild my credit.  The VS drove me but luckily I wasn't looking to apply for anything so I just focused on better habits and saw my score increase which was encouraging.  I wasn't adding accounts and only decreasing UTL so for me CK was an excellent tool and still is for reports and it's frequency. 

There's still quite a few posters who don't realize the difference until they join the forum.

Ah!  good point, actually, everyone has brought up good points (no pun intended).   I just sometimes feel we can be too harsh sounding when someone new comes in with their VS.  

Thank you, everyone, for helping me understand different points of view.  Sometimes, I can be “thick” headed.  😏

Starting Score: 784
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Club Member" border="0" width="50" height="67" align="right">

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vantage scores

I found something interesting with aging points on VS3 vs. FICO (Table of 28 FICO and 3 VS3 scores):

+44 Points on all 3 VS3 scores at AoYA 3mos, but FICO AoYA was at 4mos

I only have 2 cards on my file and both show as  opened in late December - the 21st and 23rd.

Some people comparing their VS3 scores to FICO scores may see their VS3 lower due to their accounts not aging as quickly.

There may be some kind of midpoint rounding with dates going on, or maybe the aging happens on the exact date of account opening vs. the 1st of the month as it is with FICO.

I agree that following VS3 scores closely can help a lot of people. Gamification  really works.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.