cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon charge off; year to update paid.

tag
vegas757
Valued Member

Verizon charge off; year to update paid.

Verizon contacted me in April 2011 regarding a outstanding bill for $384. I was also was informed it turned into a charge off a few days earlier. (yes, I'm 100% at fault). I called Verizon two days later and paid in full. This is where I need suggestions. When I checked my credit reports in September 2011, the charge off was there. And rightfully so. However, it still listed a balance of $384. I called Verizon to question this and was told they show a balance of zero on their system and that my credit reports should be reflecting this. I was told they will submit the information again and to give it 30 days. I check my credit reports again in November 2011, and yep, all three bureaus are still reporting that I owe Verizon $384 for a charge off. I again called Verizon and was told the same thing the first time I called... Now it's February 2012...Three credit reports showing I owe $384. I call Verizon and am told the same thing. I ask for a supervisor who looks into this. Although he does not admit why this occurred, he says he fiqured out the problem and assurred me that it will be updated with the credit bureaus. In March 2012, all three credit reports showed paid, zero balance. So it took almost one year for my credit reports to reflect a zero balance on my Verizon charge off. I know charge offs are bad, paid or unpaid. Does it hurt my credit score any more or less if it showing paid in 2011 vs 2012? If so, do I have any recourse now? I did have exact dates I called and copies of credit reports. However, after I closed on my home I threw everything away. I was hoping maybe if I wrote them a letter detailing everything I could remember, they would remove it from my reports. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Verizon charge off; year to update paid.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Verizon charge off; year to update paid.

You have a technical violation of the FCRA, and can file a complaint with the FTC to inform them of the violation, but beyond that, the continued showing of inaccurate information could only be asserted as an additional violation of the FCRA if it is proven that failure to update was intentional.

The technical violation is of section 623(a)(2), whch requires any furnisher to timely update their reporting so as to maintain its accuracy.

Timely is subjective, but your peirods woould clearly be untimely.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.